Commissioners Present: John Piemontese (Chair), Wyn Morton (Vice-Chair), Carl Blanchard, Andrea Johnson, Anne O’Connell, Jeff Odell, and Ed Pavlu.
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin arrived at 4:45 (Superintendent), Jerri Carlin (Women’s 9-Hole Assn. and Friends of Captains), and Chuck DeVito (FinCom liaison).
This meeting was held at the Brewster Town Hall and may be viewed at http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=1357
Call to Order: John Piemontese called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
- Jerri Carlin, President of the 9-Hole Ladies Association and Friends of the Captains, expressed appreciation to Peter Ervin for putting pink flags on the course for the Rally for a Cure and making the course so beautiful. The Rally earned $2800 for the Cuda Center. Thanks to Dottie Barnard and her team for running the event. The 9-Hole Ladies annual election will be on the 21st along with a shotgun and collection of food for Lower Cape Outreach. October 3 is election of officers for the Friends.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- There were no suggestions in the suggestion box or on the website. Carl Blanchard noted a posting by Christ Hardy relating to a program Cranberry Valley has with Monomoy.
- Mark O’Brien reported on membership numbers for this season including off-season memberships; he would like to have the 2018 rates ready for the November meeting.
- There have not been any changes made to the capital plan. Discussion followed.
- Mark O’Brien handed out the FY 17 review noting that all of the financial spreadsheets are available for download on the website. Discussion followed.
- Chuck DeVito questioned some of the upcoming expenses.
- The month of September has been good with the exception of rain on Sunday of the Labor Day weekend. The Captains Invitational was last weekend; 106 players participated.
Web Site Review:
- At the last meeting, Wyn Morton presented a list of statistics regarding internet marketing. As promised for this month, he handed out a list of statistics as to who the website users are and where they come from. In Massachusetts since January 1 and through September 8 there have been 56,417 users of the website, most of them from Brewster next from Boston and on down the line. Nationally every state has used the website. Massachusetts used the website most frequently followed by New York. Worldwide there were 85,000 users: 79 per cent men, 21 per cent women. Discussion followed
- Mark O’Brien reported that the pump house flooded for a second time due to the second rainstorm. No damage was done, but we know that will keep happening. Hopefully by the end of tomorrow the new motor will be running for the main pump which will bring us to 60 per cent capacity. Peter Ervin is still waiting for parts to get the other pump running which is probably a couple of weeks away. The greens are being aerated. The tees and fairways are not being done because the system is not up to full capacity. Mark O’Brien and Peter Ervin have been talking about raising the pump house a story or a story-and-a-half to get the equipment out of harm’s way. The repairs are covered by insurance, but not the raising of the pump house. Peter Ervin arrived and gave a more detailed description of the damage and repairs to the pump house.
- At the request of John Piemontese, Peter Ervin will have recommendations for the pump house issues.
- Thanks to Peter Ervin and his staff for all their work involved in the above situation.
Future Agenda Items:
- 2018 rates.
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate:
- Anne O’Connell reported there are loose tiles in the ladies’ room.
Anne O’Connell made a motion, seconded by Carl Blanchard, to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved 7-0-0. Meeting adjourned at 5:35 p.m.
The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held on October 10, 2017 at 4 p.m.