Commissioners Present: John Piemontese (Chair), Carl Blanchard (Vice Chair), Andrea Johnson, Wynn Morton, Anne O’Connell, and Dave Valcourt. Commissioner Jeff Odell was not present.
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Cindy Bingham (Select Board liaison), Paige Ferraguto (18 Hole Golf Association), Donna Potts (9 Hole Golf Association), Jackie Ferraguto, Bill O’Brien (CCMGA), Bill Meehan (Finance Committee liaison) and several Captains Golf Course members.
This meeting was held at the Brewster Town Hall and was televised. Video available at:
Call to Order: John Piemontese called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- There was one question from Susan Eifert regarding the birdhouses on the course. Mark O’Brien will discuss this with Peter Ervin. There were letters from Bill O’Brien and Bruce Beauchamin which will be discussed later during the meeting.
- John Piemontese asked about the Golf Commission mailbox on the website. Carl Blanchard suggested that it would be helpful if the members of the commission had access; he will forward access information to the members of the commission.
- In Peter Ervin’s absence, Mark O’Brien reported that the irrigation system is in the process of being blown out this week and the Port Course will be open for winter play this year. The Starboard Course will be closed for the season as of Monday, November 26.
- Mark O’Brien reported there was a good start to October but play fell off towards the end of the month due to the weather, falling a bit short of the monthly projections. November has had a slow start but is pretty much on schedule with projections. The monthly projection for FY 19 does not factor in any rates that may be contemplated at this meeting. Expenses are in line as expected. Part-time staff will be laid off as of Monday, November 26. Peter Ervin is laying off his seasonal help as well.
- The pro shop holiday sale will start on November 26.
- Mark O’Brien has been informed that many people are not getting email blasts and he will be looking into that.
- Dave Valcourt discussed the intercollegiate golfing program being mentioned only in one small article in the newspaper. The NEIGA usually handles the publicity. Discussion followed. Mark O’Brien thanked the volunteers, noting the weather conditions. There were many compliments on course conditions.
AFP Rate Proposal:
- Captains is a special revenue fund and is expected to cover its own costs. Mark O’Brien gave a brief history explaining the debt service over the years since 1999 when the new course was built. Currently the course is paying $850,000 per year in debt service. The $10,000,000 bond will be paid off in 2020. Revenues have been flat in the golf industry for the last several years, costs are increasing. Captains AFP rates have increased 3% each over the last two years. Discussion followed regarding the history of the rates and the projected rates of several neighboring golf courses.
- Mark O’Brien’s proposal for next year’s rates is a 5 per cent increase across the board for all categories, hoping there will be no increase for FY 20. There will be a deficit in FY 20. He has not spoken to the Select Board regarding this, so this will be a discussion going forward with the FY 20 budget. Discussion followed.
- Questions and comments followed from the audience.
- Anne O’Connell made a motion that AFP rates be increased 5% across the board for next season, seconded by Carl Blanchard. Motion approved 6-0-0.
Future Agenda Items:
- 2019 Calendar
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate
Review and Approve Minutes
- Anne O’Connell made a motion to approve the minutes of the 10/9/18 meeting as printed. Carl Blanchard seconded. Motion approved 6-0-0.
- Anne O’Connell made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Wyn Morton. Motion approved 6-0-0.
The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 4:00 pm at
The Captains Golf Course.