Commissioners Present: Anne O’Connell (Chair), Jeff Odell (Vice-Chair), Carl Blanchard, Wyn Morton, Ed Pavlu, and John Piemontese. (Cindy Bingham, absent).
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Jerri Carlin (Friends of Captains & Women’s 9-Hole Assn.), Jim O’Leary (Fin Com.), and Jo O’Connell.
This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at:
Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
- Jerri Carlin reported the comfort station fencing project could possibly be done in a few weeks.
- 9-Hole Ladies finished a great season.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box (Carl Blanchard):
- Dale Damery asked if the original course could be opened for the winter season. Mark O’Brien indicated that this is the plan for the winter.
Superintendent’ Report (Pete Ervin):
- Pete Ervin thanked all the volunteers and the staff for making the NEIGA tournament successful.
- The fairway verticutting is completed with the goal of doing this once or twice per season. This is in an effort to provide a healthy golf course going forward.
- The next few weeks will be devoted to leaf clean-up.
- Irrigation blow-out will be next week.
- After Thanksgiving drainage on the 15th green on Starboard and the sink hole on 7 Port will be addressed.
- Tree work will be done behind 2 and 4 Starboard greens.
- The greens will be cultured for the winter which will include some deep-tine aerification and some small aerification on a few select greens including some heavy top-dressing.
- The original course will be opened for the winter.
- Thanks to the seasonal staff who are finishing this week and the full-timers for their hard work.
- Wyn Morton reported that The Captains was mentioned in Sports Illustrated; congratulations to Mark O’Brien and Pete Ervin on the course conditions. Mark O’Brien noted the NEIGA complimented the course conditions and the volunteers at their event.
- Ed Pavlu asked if it was worthwhile keeping the two courses open at this time of the year. Mark O’Brien stated that weekends are busy on both courses and expects Thanksgiving weekend to be busy depending on the weather.
Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):
- Mark O’Brien reported we are ahead of projected revenues through October for the fiscal year. Wages are under budget; operating expenses are slightly under budget for this period. Projections look good for the fiscal year. Spending revenues are similar to those of last year.
- Jim O’Leary, Finance Committee, asked if the golf receipts are pretty much on track with the budget. The capital plan is being put together now and will be presented to the commission at the next meeting.
- Mark O’Brien presented the calendar for review. A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Ed Pavlu, to approve the calendar as presented Motion passed unanimously.
- The Massachusetts Golf Association has requested Captains host the State Mid-Am Qualifier any Monday through Thursday for one day during the month of August. This would close one golf course until about 12:30 p.m. Jeff Odell made a motion, seconded by Ed Pavlu, to host the Massachusetts Golf Association qualifier with a target date of Monday, August 29, and if that date is not appropriate, leaving the date to Mark O’Brien’s discretion. Motion passed unanimously. After considerable discussion regarding appropriate dates, Jeff Odell made a motion, seconded by Ed Pavlu, to amend the previous motion to host the Massachusetts Golf Association qualifier on August 24. Motion passed unanimously.
- Mark O’Brien received a request from an event called Cape Cod Relay, a costumed running race, to use the Captains parking lot for a staging area on May 13 and 14. There was no objection to this request.
- Mark O’Brien has received a directive from the new Town Administrator and will have a drafted budget and capital plan available before next commission meeting.
- The seasonal staff is leaving after Thanksgiving with thanks for a great season.
Web Site (Wyn Morton):
- Everything regarding the website is still in process. Mark O’Brien and Wyn Morton will be meeting with Force4 tomorrow.
- The webcam will be upgraded and hooked up in-house.
- There is not yet any information on a web-based advertising billing system which is agreeable to Google.
Eligibility for Course sponsored tournaments:
- Ed Pavlu suggested the possibility of coming up with off-season themed, out-of-house tournaments. Commissioners will research this project after the holidays.
- Jeff Odell reviewed changing play on the back-nine for first hour and a half by making tee times available on the Chelsea System for the last half hour of play. Discussion followed. A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by John Piemontese, that the back nine tee time proposal be accepted. Motion passed unanimously.
- Anne O’Connell presented Cindy Bingham’s ideas about “vacation membership.” Discussion followed. This matter will be researched further.
- The matter of yardage indicators on Port 3 will be addressed in the spring.
- There was a discussion regarding placement of gold tees.
- Scorecards are being revised. Any suggestions for change of the verbiage on the back of the cards can be given to Mark O’Brien. The lightning warning system is in place and will be noted on the scorecards. Rerating the course will be done in the spring.
Future agenda items:
- Capital plan
- Vacation membership
- Restaurant rental
- Pins with crystals
Approval of previous minutes:
The following minutes were presented for approval:
- 8/11/15 A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Ed Pavlu, to approve the minutes as corrected. Motion passed unanimously.
- 9/8/15 A motion was made by Wyn Morton, seconded by John Piemontese, to approve the minutes as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
- 10/13/15 A motion was made by John Piemontese, seconded by Jeff Odell, to approve the minutes as corrected. Motion passed unanimously.
- 10/25/15 A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Ed Pavlu, to approve the minutes as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
Topics the Chair did not anticipate:
Veterans’ Special: In recognition of Veterans’ Day and in appreciation for all those that serve and have served in the military, green fees are free to all military veterans and National Guard members, active or inactive, Monday 11/9 through Friday 11/13.
Ed Pavlu made a motion, seconded by Carl Blanchard, to adjourn the meeting. The motion was passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 5:40 p.m.
Dorothy Vesperman, Senior Clerk