May 10, 2016

Commissioners Present: Anne O’Connell (Chair), Jeff Odell (Vice-Chair), Cindy Bingham, Wyn Morton, Carl Blanchard, Ed Pavlu, and John Piemontese.

 

Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin, (Superintendent), Jerri Carlin (Friends of the Captains), Jackie Ferraguto (9 Hole Women’s Assn.), Ray DiPietro (CCMGA), Ray Marcel (member), and Bruce Sauter (member).

 

This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at: http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerController.aspx?&PGD=brewsterma&eID=1051

 

Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.

 

Public Comment:   

 

  • Jerri Carlin, President of the Friends of The Captains and the 9-hole Ladies Association announced the Friends Spring Tournament will be held on June 5 at 1 p.m.  It will be a shotgun on the Port Course and will be a bramble format, 2 best ball net.  Cocktails and dinner will follow.  The 9-holers were rained out on their first outing. 
  • Ray Marcel and Bruce Sauter presented suggestions regarding upgrading the access from the 8th to 9th holes on the Starboard Course.

 

Correspondence and Suggestion Box:

 

  • Bill Hogan suggested that the starter tell every group to replace divots and ball marks on the greens.  Mark O’Brien will ask the starters to make a more concerted effort to do this.

 

Superintendent’s Report (Pete Ervin):  

 

  • Pete Ervin the staff continues to work to make up time lost due to weather conditions of the last few weeks.  The maintenance road on the right side of 7 Port is being moved more into the tree line at the suggestion of Tom Flynn, allowing for more playable rough on the right side. 
  • Maintenance is almost fully staffed at twenty-three people.
  • Thanks to everyone who went to Town Meeting and approved the equipment purchases.

 

Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):

 

  • The weather in April has not been great, but Mark O’Brien is pleased to see the green fee and cart revenues exceed last year’s.  Revenues are projected to exceed total expenses by $20,000 over the last fiscal year.  Memberships are still ahead of the last fiscal year by about $20,000.  Non-resident membership are strong.  Play is strong.

 

Restaurant Lease: 

 

  • A meeting needs to be scheduled with Joe Jamiel to review various concerns regarding operation of the restaurant.  The lease expires on December 31 and can be extended for a year or two but notification of this extension must be given to the operator by the end of July.  Carl Blanchard suggested a work meeting be scheduled some time before the next meeting to go over the terms and conditions of the lease and the services provided.  Anne O’Connell suggested a meeting be set up with herself, Mark, Carl and Joe for some time next week.  Mark commented that the selectmen is the deciding body that awards the lease.  Cindy Bingham suggested that due to the time frame involved the selectmen be asked to renew Ardeo’s lease for one year.  The lease will run from January 1, 2017 through December 31, 2017.

 

Solar Array ((Cindy Bingham):

 

  • Cindy Bingham indicated she understands the solar array is on hold until hopefully the Fall Town Meeting, the bid to go out after the meeting, the work to be done in the fall and in the spring.

 

New Yardage Markers (Anne O’Connell):

 

  • The new yardage markers are hard to see.  Pete Ervin requested he be advised what holes are problems and he will raise the markers to alleviate the problem.

 

Course Upkeep:

 

  • There is a sprinkler head in the rough on the right-hand side of Starboard 1 that is mismarked.  Pete Ervin will address this.
  • Pete Ervin will look into installing a ball washer on Port 6.
  • The marker on Starboard 13 has been damaged by equipment.  Pete Ervin will try and make sure this doesn’t happen again.
  • There is grass in the Starboard 15 fairway bunker and is on the agenda to be cleaned up.
  • The broken tee cup situation has been remedied.
  • The family tees and sprinklers are being trimmed.
  • The new directional signs are here and will be installed.
  • Old push carts will be oiled to prevent squeaking; Mark O’Brien will determine when replacements will be purchased.

 

Follow Up:

 

  • Improvements to the cart paths are being reviewed.
  • Regarding the golf course doors/all access committee project the mechanisms have been ordered.  Some prep work needs to be done by the contractor within the next couple of weeks and then the doors will be installed.  Hopefully this work will be completed in a month.
  • Mark O’Brien will be writing up something about handicaps and will try to organize a meeting with the handicap committee to go over this topic.
  • The Starboard Course will be rerated on May 31, the Port course on June 7.  Pete Ervin suggested the tees on Port 17 be relocated.

 

 

 

 

 

Future agenda items:

 

  • Capital Project
  • Starboard 8 & 9 Access
  • Restaurant
  • Tee Time Ratio

 

Approval of 4/12/16 minutes:

 

  • A motion was made by Cindy Bingham, seconded by Jeff Odell to approve the minutes of 4/12/16 as corrected.  Motion passed unanimously.

 

Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate:

 

  • Kathy Lennox is doing a great job.
  • On behalf of the Golf Commission, Anne O’Connell thanked Cindy Bingham for all of her hard work.

 

Jeff Odell made a motion, seconded by Cindy Bingham to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 5:13 p.m.  

 

Respectfully submitted,

Dorothy Vesperman, Senior Clerk

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
X

Friday, November 24, 2017.  We are currently in a frost delay, but will open with carts at 10:00.

¤