Commissioners Present: Anne O’Connell (Chair), Andrea Johnson (Vice-Chair), Carl Blanchard, John Kissida, Wyn Morton, Jeff Odell, David Valcourt
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Dave Whitney (Select Board liaison), Bill Meehan (Finance Committee liaison), Chuck Hanson (Energy Committee), Colin Odell (Energy Committee), and Jay Packett (Asst. Operations Manager)
THIS MEETING WAS HELD REMOTELY WITH AUDIO AND VIDEO RECORDED
Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 pm after reading remote meeting guidelines and procedures.
Discussion of Solar Array project for Captains Golf Course:
- Anne O’Connell reported that she compiled notes, which have been distributed to the Golf Commission (see attached), on the solar array project largely derived from Golf Commission minutes.
- Carl Blanchard reviewed the history of how the solar array project evolved. He stated that a company had reached out to the Town regarding leasing the golf course parking lot to install solar canopies. This occurred in the late fall of 2018 and the Golf Commission became aware of it when Mark O’Brien sent an email to the Golf Commission in December 2018 informing them of the proposal.
- Chuck Hanson stated that the Energy Committee had approached Mark O’Brien and the Town back in 2017 about putting in solar canopies in the parking lot and a warrant article regarding allowing leasing Town land for this purpose was passed at a Town meeting in 2017 or 2018.
- Dave Valcourt stated that in his view the driving force behind supporting the solar project was that it would be financially beneficial to the golf course.
- Jeff Odell reviewed the notes that he had compiled that were distributed to the Golf Commission (see attached).
- Mark O’Brien was in agreement with the statements that had been made by those above.
- Anne O’Connell asked each of the Golf Commissioner’s that were present at the 4/11/19 Golf Commission meeting when a vote was taken to support the solar project, to speak. All agreed that the driving force was financial. Those that were present were Carl Blanchard, Dave Valcourt, Jeff Odell, Wyn Morton, Andrea Johnson, and Anne O’Connell. All had originally supported the project with the exception of Wyn Morton who opposed it. All said their opinions had not changed.
- Wyn Morton had raised the question as to why the annual lease payments had dropped from $100,000 to $75,000. Chuck Hanson stated it was due to the State’s phase/stage/block that this project would fall into and Colin Odell said it was also due to the interconnectivity fees charged by Eversource. He also said the final number is still in flux.
- Colin Odell explained that there could be additional revenues generated from a battery that stores energy.
- Wyn Morton asked if the revenues go to the Town or to the golf course. Dave Whitney stated it was his understanding that the monies would flow to the golf course for the foreseeable future.
- John Kissida raised many questions based on his review of the Planning Board meeting. Anne O’Connell asked John to reduce those questions to writing and send them to Peter Lombardi.
- Anne O’Connell will be sending to Peter Lombardi the notes from this meeting and that the Golf Commission is still in favor of this project, but only to the extent that the golf course is the recipient of the revenues generated.
A motion to adjourn was made by Jeff O’Dell, seconded by Carl Blanchard, and passed 7-0.
Meeting was adjourned at 5:15pm.