Commissioners Present: John Piemontese (Chair), Wyn Morton, Carl Blanchard, Anne O’Connell, Jeff Odell, Andrea Johnson, and Ed Pavlu.
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Paige Ferraguto (18-Hole Women’s Association), Jackie Ferraguto (9-Hole Women’s Association), Rob Harris (CCMGA), Bill Meehan (Finance Committee liaison).
This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at: http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=1442
Call to Order: John Piemontese called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- Peter Ervin thanked the DPW for its help in fixing the sink hole in the parking lot. Sink hole repair has been pushed back due to the weather, but as soon as there’s a thaw they will be done.
- Water usage was discussed.
- Peter Ervin would like to get an Audubon certification within the next few years. Discussion followed.
- Winter tree work is being done opening areas to light and air flow to the greens.
- Winter mechanical maintenance is being done.
- The new restaurant vendors are getting organized and are excited about doing some cosmetic improvements to the restaurant. Joe is in the process of moving and should be out by the end of next week.
- No golf has been played and there are no changes to the financials since last month.
- The sub-committee consisting of Carl Blanchard, Ed Pavlu, Jeff Odell, and Bill Meehan of the Finance Committee and Peter Ervin and Mark O’Brien met to review the budget and will be addressing managing the budget closely going forward. There was a discussion regarding a $25 special assessment on membership fees across the board with no differential in any of the member categories in order to out- mitigate any future budget shortfalls. The financial outcome of FY 18 will indicate whether this assessment needs to be continued. Right now there are 1,016 total members. Discussion followed.
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Anne O’Connell, to assess the membership $25.00 for the current FY 2018 season.
- Rob Harris suggested the rates be raised rather than instituting a special assessment.
- Motion passed 7-1-0.
- This matter must be presented to the selectboard for approval. Discussion followed.
- Paige Ferraguto noted that an assessment could interfere with donations to The Friends whereas a rate increase might not.
- Carl Blanchard stated that this could be a “one-time” assessment as the budget will be analyzed to determine the areas to be fine-tuned to try to avoid any future short-fall.
- John Piemontese noted that the sub-committee is not dissolved and will remain active.
Future Agenda Items:
- “All Clear” Bell for #8 Starboard.
Review and Approve Minutes:
- Carl Blanchard made a motion, seconded by Anne O’Connell to approve the 12/12/17 minutes as written. The motion was approved 7-0-0.
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate:
- Peter Ervin talked about repairing sink holes.
Anne O’Connell made a motion, seconded by Wyn Morton, to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved 7-0-0. Meeting adjourned at 4:26 p.m.
The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held on February 13, 2018 at 4:00.