Commissioners Present: Anne O’Connell (Chair), Carl Blanchard (Vice-Chair), Wyn Morton, Jeff Odell, Ed Pavlu, and John Piemontese. Judy McCarthy was absent.
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Ray DiPietro (CCMGA), Paige Ferraguto (Women’s 18-Hole Assn.), and Cindy Bingham (Selectmen liaison).
This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at: http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=1197
Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
- Cindy Bingham reported on a report from the Cape Cod Online version of Wicked Local regarding Orleans/Brewster wastewater suggesting using the golf courses for wastewater. Town officials think this is not a good idea as golf courses are at their nitrogen limit. Mark O’Brien has not been contacted in this regard.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- Carl Blanchard reported on an internet suggestion from Don Patterson, first expressing kudos to Pete Ervin, the next indicating he has a problem with riders not turning in or requesting flags. He suggested a statement of rules be handed out along with the flags and more signage be placed on the course.
- Anne O’Connell received a suggestion from Chris Hardy through Cindy Bingham regarding local rules changes for the putting green. Mark O’Brien was unaware of these changes and will incorporate them in the local rules sheet.
- Pete Ervin complimented the DPW and the other town departments for their work in the last storm and thanked Tom Flynn and Rob Campbell for helping out with plowing during the last storm. Thanks also to Steve Connor and Kathy Lambert for getting the fuel management system up and running. This system is expected to be in use for the next six to nine months. The golf course looks great thanks to the clean-up done by the staff. A new aeration technique is being used to hopefully improve course conditions over time. All of the top dressing was done before the snow. Shop maintenance has been done. Tree work is ongoing. The electrical service bid spec. is almost ready.
- The Selectmen have approved the rates.
- The financials have been sent to the commission.
- Play total for 2016 is 79,418 rounds which is the most since 2008. Of those 38,869 were guest play and 40549 were member play, the guest play being the most since 2008. Total revenues are slightly ahead of last year.
- The budget will be presented in a much simpler form this year, showing a spending limit, which includes a contingency and potential wage increase built in. Discussion followed.
- The electrical system was discussed and will hopefully be done by the end of March.
- The capital plan was sent to the commissioners showing expenses by the fiscal year. Discussion followed regarding various items on this plan.
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Wyn Morton, to approve the capital plan as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
- Mark O’Brien suggested the non-resident incentives program not continue this year. A survey indicated the incentives program was not the main draw for new non-resident members.
- Mark O’Brien suggested the program for residents recommending new members continue. There were ten new members resulting from this program this year.
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Wyn Morton to approve a $100 gift card for to the member that recruits a new member in the same categories in the previous year. Motion passed unanimously.
- Wyn Morton reported the website has been up for 24 hours. Thanks to all involved in setting this up.
- Anne O’Connell reported nothing new on the restaurant issues. Mark O’Brien will be meeting with Joe Jamiel tomorrow for his input.
- Mark O’Brien has spoken to the electrician regarding the hand dryers and is deciding which ones to order. The electrician is ready to install the hand dryers as soon as they are on site.
Future Agenda Items: Restaurant issues, hand dryers, budget.
Review and Approve 12/13/16 minutes:
- A motion was made by Carl Blanchard, seconded by Ed Pavlu, to approve the minutes of December 13, 2016 as written. Motion passed unanimously.
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate:
- Anne O’Connell saw an email to Mike Embury regarding the handicap doors. Mark O’Brien has solicited the contractor for an updated quote which will be included in the May all-access committee warrant. It will include the doors for the entrance to the restaurant, from the restaurant to the hallway and the pro shop entrance. Jeff Odell asked that a ramp to the side deck be considered. Ed Pavlu suggested the back door to the clubhouse hallway be considered as another handicap door.
- Mark O’Brien discussed the upcoming Women’s NEIGA event.
Ed Pavlu made a motion, seconded by Wyn Morton, to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 4:59 p.m.
The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held on February 14, 2017 at 4 p.m.
Dorothy Vesperman, Senior Clerk