February 9, 2016

Commissioners Present: Anne O’Connell (Chair), Jeff Odell (Vice-Chair), Cindy Bingham, Wyn Morton, Ed Pavlu, Carl Blanchard, and John Piemontese.
 
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations) and one person in audience.
 
This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at: http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=975
 
Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
 
Public Comment:
 
  • None
 
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
 
  • A note was received from the president of the Captains Men’s Club Golfing Association asking about the availability of topsoil and seed bottles for walkers. Mark O’Brien said he would be happy to provide divot mix for walkers.
  • A suggestion from Bill Engster, forwarded by Judy Miller of the Friends, was made to provide golf shoe cleaner brushes at the exits to the parking lots behind both 18 tees. Mark O’Brien will discuss this matter with Pete Ervin.
  • A suggestion from Richard Banks was made to upgrade the practice bunker at the driving range. Mark O’Brien will discuss this with Pete Ervin.
  • An unsigned suggestion was on the website asking for a sign indicating the procedure of play from the 10th tee which would allow golfers playing through not to be cut off. Mark O’Brien does not think a sign would alleviate this problem, but it is something to be aware of.
  • An unsigned suggestion was on the website asking for better communication of course availability and status, i.e. telephone, website and pro shop door. Mark O’Brien explained that the course can be opened very quickly; players are encouraged to call the course for current information or check the webcam page for course conditions.
  • Since several of the above were unsigned, Ann O’Connell asked if there could be a way to identify people in order to acknowledge their suggestions. Wyn Morton will discuss this with Charlie Heller.
  • A letter was received from Mike Ceragen (sp) requesting the dates of April 1 and 2, 2017 for the NEIGA Women’s tournament.
  • A motion was made by Cindy Bingham, seconded by Jeff Odell, to accept the dates of April 1 and 2 for the Women’s tournament. Motion passed unanimously.
  • Mark O’Brien presented a request from the Cape Cod Chapter of the PGA for The Captains to host the chapter championship on September 8. It is a one-day tournament with 20 to 30 players playing 36 holes, starting at 7:00 to 8:30 on one course; the second round starting at 12 to 1:30 on the other course. Green fees are not paid, cart fees are paid. It is the major championship for the chapter and is usually played at a private course.
  • A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Carl Blanchard to approve the request of the Cape Cod Chapter of the PGA to play their championship on September 8. Motion passed unanimously.
 
 
Superintendent’s Report:
 
·         Pete Ervin was not at this meeting.
 
 
Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):
 
  • The budget was presented and is still on schedule to exceed projections for FY 2016.
  • Memberships are starting to come in.
  • The budget was approved by the selectmen.
  • The golf course is scheduled to go before the Finance Committee on March 9.
  • The irrigation tech’s job has been upgraded from Grade 3 to Grade 4 to more accurately reflect the responsibilities of the job. This upgrade was approved by the Selectmen.
 
Web Site (Wyn Morton):
 
  • Wyn Morton met with Charlie Heller several weeks ago. The on-line marketing program is presently being developed by his staff. 
  • Volunteers are being sought to write blogs; the alternative is paying for a blog service as part of the marketing initiative. 
  • The website will be completely revamped this spring.
 
Update on meeting with All Access Committee (Anne O’Connell):
 
  • The committee was awarded $10,000 at a prior town meeting to put in push-button openers for the outside doors from the parking lot into the pavilion, out of the pavilion into the hallway and the two restrooms; eventually the doors to the grill room and the pro shop will be done.
 
Restaurant Lease (Carl Blanchard):
 
  • A copy of the restaurant lease has been made available to the commission. Discussion followed as to whether a full-service or a counter-type restaurant would be most beneficial to the golf course. Mark O’Brien suggested a committee be formed consisting of members of the men’s and ladies’ associations to provide input regarding this matter. Anne O’Connell will contact the association presidents. Carl Blanchard volunteered to be on the committee.
                                                                                                
Follow-Up:
 
  • There is a working session on Wednesday, February 3 at 3 p.m. at the golf course.
 
Future agenda items:
 
·         Cindy Bingham and Pete Ervin met with the Energy Committee regarding the installation of solar canopies at the golf course; a proposal will be drawn and put out for bid. Discussion followed.
·         Pete Ervin is still working on the possibility of lighting the entry sign.
 
 
Approval of 1/5/16 minutes:
 
  • A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Cindy Bingham to approve the minutes of January 5, 2016. Motion passed 7-0-0.
 
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate:
 
  • Mark O’Brien is working with various glass companies in an effort to make repairs necessary to unsightly window glass.
 
 
Cindy Bingham made a motion, seconded by Jeff Odell, to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved 7-0-0. Meeting adjourned at 5:10 p.m.  
 
Respectfully submitted,
Dorothy Vesperman, Senior Clerk
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
X

Friday, November 24, 2017.  We are currently in a frost delay, but will open with carts at 10:00.

¤