Commissioners Present: Anne O’Connell (Chair), Andrea Johnson (Vice-Chair), Carl Blanchard, Jeff Odell, Wyn Morton, and John Kissida and Dave Valcourt.
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Golf Operations), Jay Packett, (Asst. Operations Manager), Bill Meehan (Fin Comm. Liaison), Paige Ferraguto (Women’s 18-Hole Assn.), Bill O’Brien (CCMGA), Donna Potts (Women’s 9-Hole Assn.), Ralph MacDonald, Orin Segall, Tom Carroll, Margaret Litavis, Brian Skea, Jayanne Sci, Joe Monger, and John Yelmokas.
This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at: https://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=1936
Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
- Last Wednesday there was a joint meeting between the Selectboard and the Finance Committee with the Town Administrator and the Finance Director about the financial forecast. At about the 54 minute mark there was a discussion between a member of the Selectboard and the Town Administrator about the enterprise account and there was a certain amount of discussion about the golf course. Ann encourages everyone to take a look at that; you can find it on video-on-demand on the Town’s website. John Kissida recommends the Commissioners look at a presentation by the National Golf Foundation to the Selectmen in Yarmouth on November 14 on their report which has good information in it.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- Mark O’Brien reported the maintenance staff are busy doing their winter work.
- The winter plan is the same as last year alternating courses on a 2-week rotation through the winter.
Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):
- The financial report for November was sent out to the commissioners and suggested that the 2-year program will generate more revenue for this fiscal year than was originally projected. Discussion followed. The budget is under in spending and wages and operating expenses through November as compared to last year revenues are up over the last few years. All of the summer pro shop staff has been laid off. The capital plan for the next 5 years was discussed.
- Mark O’Brien discussed the 2-year membership plan and thanked the members for responding to the survey. Questions and comments were presented by the Golf Commission. Members of the audience were welcomed to speak.
- Jeff Odell made a motion to offer a 2-year membership option for the years 2020 and 2021 only with 2019 rates locked in for each of the 2 years with a second year revenue cap of $250,000 with a cut-off date of February 15 and permit credit card use for the membership fee, seconded by Wyn Morton. Motion passed 5-2-0 (Dave Valcourt and John Kissida voted against).
- Jeff Odell made a motion to have a refund policy with a full 2-year balance refund option through 3/31/2021, seconded by Andrea Johnson. Motion passed unanimously.
- Carl Blanchard made a motion that the membership rates for the year FY 2020 by increased by 5 per cent over the current year, seconded by Dave Valcourt. Motion passed unanimously.
- Mark O’Brien recommended keeping the daily green fees the same and increasing the 18 hole cart fee by $2 for both members and guests and by $1 for 9 hole carts for both members and guests. Jeff Odell would like us to get data on the number of member cart rounds before a vote is taken. The cart fees will be taken up at the next Golf Commission meeting.
- Mark O’Brien proposed increasing the handicap fee for members by $5 (rate will be $40) and the non-member handicap fee by $10 (rate will be $60). Jeff Odell made a motion to approve the handicap fee increase, seconded by Wyn Morton. Motion approved 7-0-0.
Review and Approve Minutes:
- John Kissida made a motion to approve the Golf Commission minutes of November 12, 2019 as written, seconded by Dave Valcourt. Motion approved 7-0-0.
Future Agenda Items:
- Revenue enhancing ideas.
- Response to survey respondent’s comments.
- Cart fees.
- Capital/strategic plan.
- Outreach to membership regarding strategic plan.
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate:
Jeff Odell made a motion, seconded by Anne O’Connell to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved 7-0-0. The meeting was adjourned at 5:40 p.m.