Commissioners Present: Anne O’Connell (Chair), Carl Blanchard (Vice-Chair), Wyn Morton, Jeff Odell, and Ed Pavlu. John Piemontese, and Judy McCarthy were absent.
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Jerri Carlin (Women’s 9-Hole Assn.), Paige Ferraguto (Women’s 18-Hole Assn.), Ray DiPietro (CCMGA), Jackie Ferraguto, Cindy Bingham (Selectmen liaison), and Orin Segall.
This meeting was held at the Brewster Town Hall and may be viewed at http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=1275
Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
- Jerri Carlin reported 59 players in the 9-holers. There are some members on the disabled list.
- Reporting for the Friends, she said the bathrooms are anticipated to be finished in May.
- Brewster in Boom is the first weekend in May, and the Friends will be doing closest to the pin for the Chamber of Commerce. Volunteers would be appreciated.
- The spring tournament will be a 12 o’clock shotgun on June 4 and will be a Bramble, followed by hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar. There will be a 50/50 raffle and a silent auction. Fees are $50 for members, $90 for non-members.
- Ray DiPietro for the CCMGA reported there are now 83 members so far which is down from 179 last year. The first tournament is Wednesday; the tournament schedule is the same full slate as last year.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- In Pete Ervin’s absence, Mark O’Brien reported that the Port Course aeration of the fairways and greens was completed last week. The Port tees will be aerated within the next few weeks. The Starboard Course aeration of fairways, greens and tees will be completed by tomorrow. The process went very well.
- Mark O’Brien has sent out the financials and information on membership and reported revenues are slightly ahead for the period January1-April 7. Discussion followed regarding memberships.
- The budget is in line for this time of the year.
- Farrell Electric did a great job in the installation of the new cable, giving a $5,000 credit for the repair cable which nearly covers the original expense of $9,000 for that cable. The electricity is back on and the irrigation system is in working order. The only thing that remains to be done is to remove the repair cable.
- Greens fees for April are ahead of April 2016.
- The college tournament was reduced to a one-day event with 5 colleges participating; it was a very cold day, but it was the only day convenient for the college schedules. The tournament will be held at the same time next year with the coaches trying to build up the tournament to incorporate more colleges.
- Staff is coming in starting April 1.
- The open house is on April 29 and will follow approximately the same format as last year.
- Cindy Bingham asked if credit on the books should be closed at a date. Mark O’Brien explained that any money won last year needs to be spend by the end of this year. Discussion followed. Mark O’Brien indicated the current policy works well and he would hesitate to change it.
- Anne O’Connell reported the RFP evaluation committee meets tomorrow. The physical structure of the restaurant is being reviewed.
- Electrical efficiencies will stay on the agenda as there was nothing to report at this time.
Future Agenda Items:
- There was nothing to add to future agenda items at this time; Anne O’Connell noted that Town Meeting is May 1.
Review and Approve 3/28/17 minutes:
- The minutes of 3/28/17 had two corrections: Pete Ervin was present and the second sentence under Restaurant issues should have read “an email” instead of “any mail”.
- Ed Pavlu made a motion to approve the minutes of the meeting of 1/10/17 as amended, seconded by Carl Blanchard. Motion passed 4-0-1, Carl Blanchard abstained.
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate:
- Ed Pavlu reported a sink hole in front of #9 Port and suggested filling the hole.
- Wyn Morton asked if there was any incentive program for members with longevity. Mark O’Brien explained there is not, but there are age-related policies. Discussion followed. Mark O’Brien will research the number of long-term members.
Ed Pavlu made a motion, seconded by Jeff Odell, to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 4:39 p.m.
The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held on May 9, 2017 at 4 p.m.