Minutes of the Brewster Golf Commission held on Tuesday May 11, 2010. The meeting was called to order at 2 p.m.
Commissioners present: Bob Weiss, Chairman Rob Harris Cindy Bingham Jeff Odell Karney Ovian Joseph Shaw, Honorary Commissioner
Staff Present: Mark O'Brien, Director of Operations Steve Mann, Superintendent Dorothy Vesperman, Sr. Clerk
Others Present: Anne LeMaitre, Pres. Women's 9-Hole Association Alan Godfried, CCMGA
A motion was made by R. Harris, seconded by K. Ovian to approve the minutes of the meeting of April 6, 2010. Motion passed unanimously.
- M. O'Brien presented a request from an owner of vacant land in Brewster for resident member status at the golf course. A motion was made by B. Weiss, seconded by C. Bingham to approve this request. Motion denied.
- The 18-hole Ladies Association requested the Solheim Cup be continued with a group of ladies from Ocean Edge with a play date of either September 15 or 22. M. O'Brien and C. Bingham will discuss this matter further.
- Thank you notes were received from Nauset Regional High School Class of 2010 for the donation to Project Graduation and from the Brewster Chamber of Commerce for a donation to support the Swing into Spring Dance.
- The Cape Cod Hook Fishermen's Association has requested a tournament on August 14. M. O'Brien will be in contact for further discussion.
- A donation request was approved for the Chatham/Harwich branch of the Cape Cod Hospital Auxiliary for their tournament at Seaside Links.
- Requests for donations to the Housing Assistance Corporation and the Samaritans on Cape Cod and the Islands were approved.
- Donation requests from the MSPCA, the Cape Cod Eagles AAU Baseball Team, the Aids Action Committee of Massachusetts, Inc., the Massachusetts General Hospital Blood Donor Center and the Melanoma Foundation of New England were denied.
- Emails were received from Golf Hub regarding posting tee times and prices. M. O'Brien will follow up. We have just signed up with Golf Now.
The financials for April were discussed. As of today, resident members are down by 40. Non-resident membership is up. Membership is expected to continue to rise through May and June. Eighty-one resident members who have not signed up this year will be contacted for their input. April play was down despite the good weather; this may have been a result of the northern area courses being open earlier due to the good weather and the construction on the bridge. Golf shop revenue was down as expected; inventory is up. We are now able to track cart usage.
- Aerification is complete. The course is dry. New summer help is being hired.
- An updated list of potential course improvements was presented.
- B. Weiss will request that Jo O'Connell's term with the Golf Commission be extended for another 30 days.
- C. Bingham noted changes in The Captains policy manual. A motion was made by C. Bingham, seconded by J. Odell to accept the policy manual with revisions. Motion passed unanimously.
- The Silver Anniversary celebration was discussed.
- A picture of the Ellsworth Pavilion sign was reviewed and discussed.
C. Bingham asked if a bench could put in front for the convenience of the golfers. The teak bench on Port 1 will be moved for this purpose.
The patio chairs will be replaced.
A. Godfried asked if the tee times for the Monday Senior Scramble times could be switched with the Thursday scramble times.
A motion was made by K. Ovian, seconded by J. Odell to switch the Thursday scramble times with Monday's scramble times. Motion passed unanimously.
The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be on June 8 at 2 p.m. A motion was made by J. Odell, seconded by K. Ovian to adjourn the meeting. The meeting was adjourned at 3:45 p.m.