Commissioners Present: Rob Harris (Chair), Cindy Bingham, Anne O'Connell, Ed Pavlu, Jeff Odell.
Others Present: Mark O'Brien (Director of Golf Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Judy McCarthy (Women’s 18-Hole Assn.), Sharon Marotti (Women’s 9-Hole Assn.) and Jerri Carlin (Friends of the Captains)
Call to Order: Rob Harris called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Association Reports and Public Comment:
- Judy McCarthy reported that the Women’s 18-Hole Association will be starting as of the first Tuesday in April.
- Sharon Marotti reported that the Women’s 9-Hole Association has 68 members to date with two new members.
- Jerri Carlin reported that the Friends of the Captains will be running the closest to the pin contest for the Brewster in Bloom weekend. Also, the Friends Annual Snowbirds tournament will be held on June 8th.
Superintendent’s Report (Pete Ervin):
- Pete Ervin gave an update on the activities of the maintenance crew this winter which included:
1. scheduled maintenance on all equipment
2. clean up of both courses which was extensive due to the winter storms
3. stump grinding
4. grinding of 75 cutting units
5. snow plowing and shoveling
6. tree removal
- Pete is reviewing his plans for fertilizer and fungicide applications
- Pete reported that he has been asked by Charlie Sumner to do the aerification and fertilizer applications for the ball fields on Freemans Way. Cindy Bingham asked why all of a sudden this year the golf department has been asked to take over these responsibilities. Mark O’Brien responded that the Town is trying to take advantage of some efficiencies given our proximity to the fields and expertise.
Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):
· Mark O’Brien reported that memberships were down by a little over $19,000 to date.
· Mark reported that the Selectmen approved the FY2015 Golf budget on Monday, March 3rd. The budget that was approved included a $5,000 reduction in wages and a $5,000 reduction in operating expenses in relation to what was last distributed to the Golf Commission. These reductions were at the request of Charlie Sumner a few days prior to the Selectmen’s meeting in order to help balance the Town budget. The budget is scheduled to be presented to the Finance Committee on March 19th.
· Mark reported that approximately $44,000 of the $50,000 FY2014 advertising budget has been spent so far and the remaining $6,000 has been contracted to spend. He is working with the firm of Pierce Cote’ to plan for FY2015.
· It was suggested to send a press release to the Cape Codder and use the local government TV channel to promote the course.
FY2016 Budget Process:
- This was put on the agenda due to the fact that the Golf Commission would like to review the budget prior to it be discussed with the Town Administrator, which was not the case this year. Mark O’Brien said that he would prepare a budget for the Commission’s review for their December meeting. This would accomplish this goal.
- Rob Harris noted a needed correction that it was necessary to insert that those that were present remotely were doing so due to geographic reasons. Cindy Bingham added painting the women’s rest room to accomplishments of the Friends. Cindy Bingham made a motion, seconded by Rob Harris, to approve the Golf Commission meeting minutes of February 11, 2014 as amended. The motion was approved unanimously.
Anne O’Connell made a motion, seconded by Cindy Bingham to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved unanimously. The meeting was adjourned at 4:40 p.m.
Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations