Commissioners Present: John Piemontese (Chair), Carl Blanchard (Vice-Chair), Anne O’Connell, Wyn Morton, Andrea Johnson and Jeff Odell.
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Bill Meehan (Finance Committee liaison), Jerri Carlin, and Jackie Ferraguto.
This meeting was held at the Captains Golf Course and was not televised.
Call to Order: John Piemontese called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- There were three complaints about the condition of the rest rooms. Mark O’Brien stated this has been addressed with the Freemans’s Grill who is responsible for the clubhouse restrooms and he has hired a professional cleaning firm to clean the Port side half way house restrooms once a week.
- Nancy Seavey suggested a sign indicating where the pro shop is. It was noted that there is a sign above the pro shop door. This will be taken under advisement.
- Rita Nelson suggested that a waste basket is needed in the clubhouse hallway. Mark O’Brien will see to it.
- Pete Ervin reported that the course handled the recent 2.5” rain event well and the excavation work done around the pump house worked in feeding the water away from the pump house.
- Jeff Odell asked if a remote kill switch has been installed to shut down power in the pump house in the event of flooding. Pete replied that we do not have that.
- Mark O’Brien reported that July was a good month, outperforming last year and on target with projections. (see attached)
Off Season Membership:
- Mark O’Brien recommended continuing the Off Season membership program under the same parameters as last year. Jeff Odell made a motion, seconded by Wyn Morton to continue the Off Season membership program under the same parameters as last year. Motion approved 6-0-0.
- Mark O’Brien indicated that he and Pete have not had the opportunity to prepare any specifics. He did name a number of capital projects that will need to be addressed in the coming years.
Future agenda items:
- Cart rules
- On course practicing
- Marketing budget
- Job descriptions
Review and approve minutes:
- Anne O’Connell made a motion to approve the minutes of the 6/12/18 Golf Commission meeting as printed. Carl Blanchard seconded. Motion approved 6-0-0.
- Anne O’Connell noted a correction for the 7/10/18 minutes. Anne O’Connell made a motion to approve the 7/10/18 Golf Commission minutes as amended. Wyn Morton seconded. Motion approved 6-0-0.
Topics the Chair did not anticipate:
Maintenance Building inspection:
- Pete Ervin led the Commission on a tour of the maintenance building. Many shortcomings of the building were noted and all agreed it is in need of significant upgrades.
- Wyn Morton made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Anne O’Connell. Motion approved 6-0-0.
The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held on Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 4:00 at the Captains Golf Course.
Director of Operations