September 16, 2014

Commissioners Present: Anne O'Connell (Chair), Jeff Odell (Vice-Chair), Ed Pavlu, Cindy Bingham, Marc Fontaine, Carl Blanchard, and Judy McCarthy.

 

Others Present: Mark O'Brien (Director of Golf Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Jerri Carlin (Friends of the Captains), and Sharon Marotti (Women’s 9-Hole Assn.).

 

This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at: http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=628

 

Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.

 

Public Announcements:

 

  • Sharon Marotti reported that the Women’s 9-Hole Association raised over $2,400 in their Rally for Women tournament to benefit the Cuda Women’s Center.
  • Sharon also congratulated the Women’s 9-Hole Association’s new Champion, Sarah Robinson.
  • Sharon also announced that the Women’s 9-Hole Association will be hosting their Invitational Golf Tournament on October 2nd.
  • Jerri Carlin announced that the Friends of the Captains will be hosting a cocktail party on October 10th.
  • Jerri also reported that the new water cooler enclosures for the course have been delivered and they will be installed when the maintenance department has the time.    

 

Correspondence & Suggestion Box:

 

  • Several people submitted suggestions supporting the idea of a practice net at the golf course. This will be studied further in the off season.
  • Sharon Hart – Maintenance staff needs to be more aware of golfers when they are mowing. Pete Ervin will remind his staff.
  • Meghan (last name unknown) – add more delicious foods to menu. No action.
  • Rick Pozzo – have a first cut of rough and roll the greens. Pete Ervin stated that he does not currently have the man power or equipment to accomplish this. It will be considered in the future.

 

Superintendent’s Report (Pete Ervin):

 

  • The aerifying of the Starboard Course was successful on September 8 & 9 with the cooperation of the Town of Dennis and Harwich. All greens, tees and fairways were completed.
  • The Port greens were aerated over the last two days. The fairways and tees will be done on September 29 & 30.
  • Fertilized fairways on Port and Starboard over the last two weeks.
  • There was a hydraulic leak on #15 Starboard. It will be aerified and seeded and it should come back.
  • Tee cups for broken tees will be purchased in the spring.
  • Anne O’Connell asked about the puddle on 14 Starboard. Pete indicated that was caused by years of silt build up and he will take care of it.
  • Marc Fontaine asked about the European Crane Fly. Pete said they are not currently causing us any issues.   

 

Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):

 


·         Mark O’Brien reviewed the financial report for August. The numbers are ahead of last year. Mark also reported that 29 people had the off-season membership in 2013 and 17 of those renewed for 2014. This year we have 23 people signed up for the off-season membership as compared to 18 at this time last year.


·         Cindy Bingham asked about advertising this off-season membership. Mark O’Brien stated that we only used email blast to publicize this. He will look into advertising in the Cape Codder.


·         Carl Blanchard asked about how the rental clubs were purchased. Mark O’Brien stated that they are purchased through pro shop purchases.


·         Mark O’Brien reviewed the junior programs this year. Jay Packett and Steve Knowles ran successful 3-day schools throughout the summer. That participation was slightly up over last year. They also ran a Junior Golf League on Tuesday afternoons. This participation was down slightly as compared to last year. In addition, we had our 23rd Annual Junior Golf Day in August and this participation was up this year. Mark O’Brien started a PGA Junior League team which was a new initiative this year. Our junior membership fell off a bit this year.


·         Jerri Carlin asked if the First Tee Program in the Brewster schools had an impact on our junior participation. Mark O’Brien said he was unsure and does not know the status of that program.


·         Mark O’Brien reported that we are scheduled to meet with the Selectmen on September 29 to review our warrant articles for the Fall Town Meeting.


·         Mark O’Brien presented a request from the New England PGA for Captains to host a junior tournament on a Tuesday in April 2015. They would start at 12:00 noon and need about 12 tee times. There is no fee charged. We have hosted this group over the last several years. The Commission had no issue with this.


·         Mark O’Brien reported that we are in the process of contracting with Club Car for a new 5-year lease to start in 2015. He is choosing them because they have supported us well with battery issues. In the past, a previous vendor did not support us in this regard. The cart lease is on the State Contract list so we do not have to go out to bid. Mark O’Brien asked for input on the color choice for the carts.


·         Cindy Bingham asked about the bids for the sink hole and tee repair. Mark reported that the bids are due in on October 7.

 

Follow-up:

 


·         Memorial Bench Policy – Pete and Mark will report back at next meeting.


·         Boxes for broken tees – addressed earlier.


·         July 4th 2015 – Mark O’Brien stated that since the 4th falls on a Saturday, the following week will be considered the 4th of July week and there will be no block times during this week.    

 

Trim Painting Project:

 

  • Mark O’Brien has a quote to paint the trim on the snack shack, starter shed, and back stoop of the pro shop, as well as power washing all the wood decking around the clubhouse. He plans to move forward with this. He has also talked with a contractor about repairing some rotted trim and the lattice work facing the 9th Starboard green. No quote has been given for this work yet. Cindy Bingham asked about having Cape Tech do some of this work. Mark O’Brien will look into this.    

 

Survey Results:

 

  • Anne O’Connell stated that Mark O’Brien had compiled the results of the questionnaires and one thing that is apparent is that everyone likes the condition of the course, although think the rough is too tough.
  • The restaurant took a beating in the surveys. Anne suggested that the survey results be shared with Joe Jamiel and Mark O’Brien stated he would.
  • Cindy Bingham asked how many surveys went out. Mark O’Brien said it was over a six day period. 150 surveys were returned.
  • Cindy asked about sharing the results with the staff. Mark said he would.
  • Carl Blanchard stated that this can be used as a base line and it would be good to do the survey again next year and see how the results compared.
  • Carl stated that rangers and pace of play were indicated as an area that needs improvement.

 

2015 Rates:

 

  • Anne O’Connell stated that she included this on the agenda to begin the process of thinking about rates.
  • Carl Blanchard distributed an outline of a proposal for AFP rates.
  • Cindy Bingham discussed the idea of giving those that are current members of another course a discount for a membership at Captains.
  • Ed Pavlu stated we need to begin our membership drive now.
  • The discussion will continue at the next meeting.

 

Discuss Possible Future Agenda Items:

 

  • Survey member’s feelings on the Chelsea Reservation System. Mark O’Brien will conduct a survey and report back at the next meeting.

 

Approval of past meeting minutes:

 

  • Cindy Bingham made a motion to approve the minutes of the August 12, 2014 meeting, seconded by Judy McCarthy. Motion approved 7-0-0.

 

Topics the Chair did not anticipate:

 

  • Judy McCarthy asked to have a Commission contact list made up. Mark O’Brien will take care of this.
  • Cindy Bingham asked about the problem with the WiFi. Mark O’Brien will ask Kathy Lambert to look into this.
  • Cindy Bingham asked about the handicap flag policy and if it has been initiated. Mark O’Brien stated that it is in effect.
  • Cindy Bingham asked about putting in an oversized golf hole on days when we have groups that this might be appropriate for. Pete and Mark will take this under consideration.  
  • Cindy Bingham asked about moving the meetings to 3:00 in the future. It was decided that this would not work for some of the Commission so no change will be made.
  • Cindy asked about the increase of the lily pads in the ponds. Pete will look into treating the ponds in the future.   

 

Cindy Bingham made a motion, seconded by Jeff Odell to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved unanimously.    

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations