The following are the minutes of the Brewster Golf Commission meeting held on 9/11/2012 at the Captains Golf Course. The meeting was called to order at 4:00 PM by Cindy Bingham.
Commissioners present: Cindy Bingham, Chairperson
Staff present: Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations
Steve Mann, Superintendent
Others Present: Sharon Marotti, Women’s 9-Hole Assn.
Rob Harris, Men’s Association
Joanne Liberles, Women’s 18-Hole Assn.
Review of meeting minutes:
It was noted that Marc Fontaine’s name was missing as being present and there was a typo on the August 14, 2012 minutes. Anne O’Connell made a motion, to approve the Brewster Golf Commission meeting minutes from August 14, 2012 as amended. The motion was seconded by Marc Fontaine and approved 4 in favor with Lori Arnold and Jeff Odell abstaining as they were not present at that meeting.
Anne O’Connell reported that the steps going up to the pavilion are slippery. Mark O’Brien said he would put some non-slip strips on there.
Joanne Liberles reported that the Women’s 18-Hole Association member-member tournament raised $850 for the Special Olympics, and the Cuda event raised $6,700 for Cape Cod Hospital’s Cuda Foundation.
Steve Mann reported:
· We had 3 ½” of rain in a 2-hour period the other day and that the driving range pump house was hit by lightning. The lightning also affected the irrigation satellites controlling the heads on Port #1 and Starboard #2, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17 and 18. He can turn the heads on manually but there is no power from the satellites. It is the process of being repaired. It will be covered by insurance although there is a $5,000 deductible.
· The Port Course aerification is complete.
· Eric Schwebach has been hired to fill the 40-week groundsman position left vacant by Howard Menges retirement. We have advertised to fill the 32-week groundsman position that is left vacant by Eric Schwebach.
· Jeff Odell asked about giving the driving range bunker some attention. Steve Mann said he would.
· Lori Arnold asked about the tees that were unlevel. Steve Mann said there are a number of them and we will look to address these in the capital plan.
· Ed Pavlu asked about doing sink hole repair in-house. Steve Mann said that we would need to rent equipment and if we did it in-house, some other off-season projects would have to be put off.
Open snack shack and beverage cart by 9:00 a.m. Mark O’Brien will talk with Antonella.
Have broken tee boxes on every hole, not just par 3s. Mark O’Brien did not feel this was necessary.
Have a bench at every woman’s tee and make sure they are clean. Mark O’Brien will talk to Steve Mann about doing this.
Revisit the summer block time set up for the associations. Mark O’Brien said this will be discussed when we set rates.
Have the monthly calendar on the web site. Mark O’Brien said he would take care of this.
Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):
Mark O’Brien reported:
on the August financial report.
The driving range token dispenser was stolen and a new one has been ordered. The cost for replacement is about $1,600. It is not covered by insurance as it is under the $5,000 deductible.
The Captains Invitational sponsored by the Captains Course Men’s Golf Association was a big success with 104 players.
Dick Holland won the season long Match Play Championship.
The contract for advertising services is about to be signed.
Anne O’Connell said she ran into the director of the NEIGA tournament as he was planning pin placements on the course and he said he was impressed with the course conditions.
Cindy Bingham reported that the meetings with the Selectmen and the Finance Committee were very positive.
Revenue Enhancement Brainstorming Session:
Marc Fontaine asked if based on the feedback from the Selectmen and the Finance Committee, should we be trying to attain a positive cash flow for the golf course. Mark O’Brien stated that he believes it is his charge to maximize the gross profit from golf operations in order to cover as much of the debt as possible. He said that even taking this approach, it does not appear as though the course will generate enough gross profit to achieve a positive cash flow, at least for the next few years.
Cindy Bingham then opened the floor for revenue enhancement ideas, limiting the input to the golf commissioners only. The ideas generated are attached.
These ideas will be discussed at the next meeting, scheduled for October 9, 2012 at 4:00 p.m.
Lori Arnold made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Jeff Odell. Motion approved unanimously.
Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations