Commissioners Present: John Piemontese (Chair), Carl Blanchard (Vice Chair), Andrea Johnson, Wynn Morton, Anne O’Connell, and Jeff Odell. Commissioner David Valcourt was not present.
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Cindy Bingham ( Select Board liaison), Jane Samiotes (18 Hole Golf Association), Donna Potts ( 9 Hole Golf Association), Jerri Carlin, Jackie Ferraguto, Rob Harris (CCMGA), and Bill Meehan (Finance Committee liaison).
This meeting was held at the Captains Golf Course and was not televised.
Call to Order: John Piemontese called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- Both suggestion boxes empty
- Mark O’Brien advised the commission that the MGA has asked if they could hold a Parent/Child
Tournament at the Captains on either August 5 or 8, 2019. They will need a 3-4 hour block of tee times in the morning. They will pay cart fees only. After discussion, it was decided that Mark would go back to the MGA and ask if they could move their tee times to the afternoon when there would be less loss of revenue.
- John Piemontese reported that he had spoken to Superintendent Pete Ervin, who could not attend the meeting, earlier in the day. He asked that that we be advised that his crew was working hard as they ready the course for the College Event. (NEIGA)
- Mark O’Brien reported that the NEIGA College Event has 37 teams registered to play. That includes 6-7 women’s teams.
- Mark O’Brien reported that the Member-Member tournament is this weekend with a good weather forecast
- Mark O’Brien reported that the First seven days of October showed and increase of $20,000 over budget. This should assure that the month will exceed budget. On the expense side there has been a savings in the wages and operations expenses due to maintenance operating without a mechanic until one is hired. There has also been savings with fewer hours of the part time admin.
- Mark O’Brien advised that minimum wage will increase from $11.50 to $12.00 in 2019. That raise has been included in budgeted numbers.
- Mark O’Brien presented 2019 Monthly budget projections. If these numbers are reached there will be $30,751 in the reserve account. Mark explained how that amount is calculated. He also reported that expenses YTD v Last Year are on schedule and September and Fiscal 18 revenues are up. There was discussion about a contingency plan if something would cause those budget numbers to be missed. Mark O’Brien stated that if that happened cuts would need to be made.
If that didn’t make up a deficit the Town General Fund would have to cover it.
- Anne O’Connell recommended that the Commission readdress the financial issues faced by the Captains Golf Course. A possibility would be to divvy up main issues and have small groups work on them and bring them to the Commission with suggestions.
After discussion it was agreed that Carl Blanchard as head of the Finance sub committee would begin to have coffee with other Commissioners and begin to address major concerns. It was agreed that Capital Planning would be an agenda item for every month from now on.
- Mark O’Brien presented historical AFP Rates and included a 3% increase for 2019. There was discussion about offering a two-year membership in 2019 instead of waiting until 2020. There was discussion about how much of a rate hike would be necessary to help Captians become more financially secure. It was noted that Barnstable was thinking of a 10% rate hike in 2019.
This issue will be discussed at the November meeting which will take place in Town Hall.
Mark O’Brien agreed to send the membership an email advising them of the meeting one week before the meeting.
Multiple Ball Play
- Pete Ervin had reported that he and his crew have seen evidence that players are practicing on the golf course taking as many as ten divots in one spot. After discussion it was agreed that Mark O’Brien would send an email to the membership advising them that this is against the rules and that if anyone were to see this behavior please call the pro shop and staff would be sent on the course to take care of the situation.
Spring Members Social Event
- John Piemontese stated that this is an event that is important to long term planning. After discussion it was decided that a date would be chosen after the three Golf Associations have reported back a date when most of its members are back in the Spring.
Future Agenda Items:
- AFP RATES
- Small Group planning
- Winter Course Closure
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate
Review and Approve Minutes
- Anne O’Connell made a motion to approve the minutes of the 8/14/18 meeting as printed. Wynn Morton seconded. Motion approved 6-0-0.
- Anne O’Connell made a motion to approve the minutes of the 9/11/18 meeting as printed. Carl Blanchard seconded. Motion approved 6-0-0.
- Wynn Morton made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Jeff Odell. Motion approved 6-0-0.
The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 4:00 pm at
Page 3 of 3