Commissioners Present: John Piemontese (Chair), Wyn Morton (Vice-Chair), Carl Blanchard, Anne O’Connell, Jeff Odell, and Ed Pavlu. Andrea Johnson absent.
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Jerri Carlin (Friends of Captains), Paige Ferraguto (18-Hole Women’s Association), Margaret Litavis (9-Hole Women’s Association), Bill O’Brien (CCMGA), and Bill Meehan (FinCom liaison).
This meeting was held at the Brewster Town Hall and may be viewed at http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=1390
Call to Order: John Piemontese called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
- Jerri Carlin announced Jackie Ferraguto is the new president of The Friends; Margaret Litavis will be president of the 9-hole ladies as of January 1. The 9-holers have finished up a good season with twelve new members some of whom are new to the golf course and will be returning next year.
- The 9-holers have decided to change the name of their summer cup to the Jo O’Connell Cup. Jo has been a member of Captains since the 90’s and has been on the board until this past year; she was also a member of the Golf Commission. When they told Jo, she and Ed were very pleased and excited.
- Jerri Carlin thanked everyone who donated to the bench for Richie Golden.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- Peter Ervin reported work on the pump house is moving along and is up to 80 per cent capacity. The jockey pump will be repaired.
- The course will be aerated by holes this year instead of by course. The old holes will be first to be aerated beginning after the college tournament.
- Thanks to Dwight Wiggin for all of his help over the last 28 years.
- Mark O’Brien sent out the September financials indicating that in spite of the rain the numbers compared well to those of September of last year. Discussion followed.
- Memberships for the season is up about $20,000 as compared to last year due primarily to rate increases.
Status of RFP:
- Mark O’Brien reported the bids came back with one proposal which was deemed non-responsive as it was not complete. Bids have gone out again as of yesterday for a three-year term and a two-year option. There was a change in that the vendor will not be responsible for equipment failure since the equipment is old, and it would be a burden on the vendor to take responsibility of replacing 20-year old equipment. There will be a new dishwasher, refrigerator and sandwich unit installed by March. The bids are due in on November 8 with a decision required by November 30.
- Mark O’Brien is inclined to not change the 2018 rates, especially the daily fee rates and suggested the rates be voted on at the next meeting.
Floor Tiles Update:
- The floor tiles will be taken care of by the next meeting. Jeff Odell questioned the status of the score card boxes. Peter Ervin said he will purchase boxes designed specifically for the size of the scorecards and pencils.
Future Agenda Items:
Review and Approve Minutes:
- Anne O’Connell noted one change needed to the 8/8/17 minutes regarding the 9-Hole Ladies Championship under Public Comment. Anne O’Connell made a motion, seconded by Wyn Morton to approve the 8/8/17 minutes as amended. The motion was approved 6-0-0.
- Jeff Odell made a motion, seconded by Anne O’Connell to approve the 9/12/17 minutes as written. The motion was approved 6-0-0.
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate:
Anne O’Connell made a motion, seconded by Wyn Morton, to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved 6-0-0. Meeting adjourned at 4:22 p.m.
The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held on November 14, 2017 at 4 p.m.