Anne O’Connell (Chair), Jeff Odell (Vice-Chair), Cindy Bingham, Carl Blanchard, Wyn Morton, Ed Pavlu, and John Piemontese.
Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Jerri Carlin (Friends of Captains & Women’s 9-Hole Assn.), Chris Hardy (Women’s 18-Hole Assn.) Dennis Hanson (Fin Com.), Rob Harris, Jim Knowles, Mike Gallagher, Melanie Gallagher, Sharon Hart, and Jayanne Sci.
This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at: http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=907
Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
- Jerri Carlin reported Friends will present a check for $3,055 to the selectmen, making a total of $3,500 to pay for the new markers.
- Since 2012 the Friends have contributed over $50,000 to the town.
- Comfort station improvements project is being worked on.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box (Carl Blanchard):
- A request was received from Pat Gray asking whether distance markers could be put from Port #3 green to #2 green. Mark O’Brien will talk with Pete about this and advise the Commission.
Superintendent’ Report (Pete Ervin):
- Pete reports aerification was successfully done—all in-house—and thanked the staff for their efforts.
- The right cultural practices are happening on the golf course and will be a benefit for seasons to come.
- Fairway aerification went well. Kudos to the staff for getting all 58 acres done in four days.
- All the lightning posts have been installed and should be wired in the next few weeks.
- Thanks for the Friends for the money for the fairway markers.
- Water usage has stayed within the budgeted amount.
- The reeds in the ponds will be cut.
- Pete thanked the Friday group for inviting him and his wife to dinner.
Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):
- Mark went over the financials with the first quarter of the year being very strong. The revised projection is for a surplus of $97,518. This does not project any underspending; the budget will be reviewed to find any possible savings going forward.
- Revenues are up in all categories. Weather has been on our side; the course conditions are great.
- Dennis Hanson asked that a copy of the itemized financials be sent to the FinCom; he also asked Pete if the vacancies available have been filled. Pete said that the students from Tech are restricted and could not be hired presently, but perhaps in the spring. The advertised vacancy has been filled.
- The golf course will have nothing on the agenda for the special town meeting.
Web Site (Wyn Morton):
- The drone people were at the course and will be doing a shoot which will replace the slide show currently on the website, possibly to be used as on-line advertising.
- Upgrading the website is still in process.
Eligibility for Course sponsored tournaments:
- The Golf Commission has opened up course-sponsored tournaments to all member tiers. This matter was asked to be reconsidered and that is why it’s back on this agenda.
- Michael Gallagher questioned what the charge would be for the twilight members playing in the tournaments and was advised that this had not yet been discussed by the commission; currently the charge to the twilight people is the same as all other members.
- Rob Harris read a letter from Jean Raymond expressing her opinions regarding this issue.
- Chris Hardy, Melanie Gallagher and Jayanne Sci spoke to the above issue.
- Rob Harris asked for clarification of number of members playing in various tournaments.
- Comments, suggestions and clarifications were made by Jeff Odell, Mark O’Brien, Carl Blanchard, Ed Pavlu, Cindy Bingham, Chris Hardy, Michael Gallagher and Dennis Hansen, representing the FinCom,
- Anne O’Connell asked for a motion regarding eligibility for course-sponsored tournaments. Seeing none the decision made by the Golf Commission will stand.
2016 Rates (including but not limited to Daily Fee Play, Annual Fee Play, Carts, Driving Range):
- At the last meeting Mark O’Brien suggested leaving the rates as they are. The current rate schedule was handed out.
- Discussion followed.
- Jeff Odell moved that there be no changes in the annual player fee rates. Motion seconded by Cindy Bingham.
- There was more discussion regarding non-resident fees.
- The motion was carried.
- Cindy Bingham moved that the daily fee player rates remain the same as in 2015. Motion seconded by Jeff Odell. Motion carried.
- Cindy Bingham moved that the riding carts, pull carts, driving range and rental club fees remain the same as in 2015. Motion seconded by Carl Blanchard. Motion carried.
2016 Transfer of Funds from GCRRA:
- Jeff Odell moved that the board support a letter to the selectmen with regard to the withdrawal from the Golf Course Receipts Reserved for Appropriation and that that be an adjustable figure so as to make the golf course revenue neutral to the taxpayers. Motion seconded by Cindy Bingham. Motion carried.
- Ann O’Connell distributed a copy of the revised commissioners’ handbook which eliminated duplications of things belonging in the rules and regulations guide.
- A motion was made by Cindy Bingham, seconded by Ed Pavlu to accept the revised commissioners’ handbook.
- Ed Pavlu suggested leaving the handbook open to changes. Cindy Bingham would like each page to indicate the date of the amendment.
- Motion passed unanimously.
Future Agenda Items:
- New revenue opportunities.
- Off-cycle workshop session.
- Tournament schedule.
- For the December meeting, budget and capital plan.
Review and Approve 8/11/15 & 9/8/15 minutes:
- The minutes were not prepared yet for approval.
Topics the Chair did not anticipate:
Cindy Bingham made a motion, seconded by Ed Pavlu to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved 7-0-0. Meeting adjourned at 5:58 p.m.
Dorothy Vesperman, Senior Clerk