Commissioners Present: Anne O’Connell (Chair), Andrea Johnson (Vice-Chair), Carl Blanchard, John Kissida, Wyn Morton, Jeff Odell, and David Valcourt
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Colin Walsh, Golf Course Superintendent, Jay Packett (Asst. Oper. Mgr.), Dave Whitney (Select Board Liaison), Rob Harris (CCMGA), Sarah Robinson (18-Hole Women’s Assn.) Donna Potts (9-HoleWomen’s Assn.) and Jerri Carlin (Friends of the Captains).
THIS MEETING WAS HELD REMOTELY WITH AUDIO AND VIDEO RECORDED. The meeting may be viewed at: http://video.brewster-ma.gov/CablecastPublicSite/show/5029?channel=1
Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 pm after reading remote meeting guidelines and procedures.
Friends of the Captains Project Update:
- Jerri Carlin updated the Friends’ projects for the year. The directional sign on the right-hand side of the entrance is made of Corian and should be impervious to bird damage. The floors in the Port bathroom were refinished in the spring and the toilet paper holders were replaced. Upcoming projects include three sets of junior golf clubs which are on hold until needed. This winter Dave Villandry will be making seven divot-mix boxes. There will be one behind the starters’ shack, one on the fifth hole, the turn, and the fifteenth hole of both courses. The boxes will be filled using the front loader, will be movable and can be stored away for the winter. Dave Villandry will be replacing the carpet in the starters’ shack. The Friends is putting together material for Wyn Morton to use on the website. Next year is the tenth anniversary of the Friends. In that time approximately $80,000 has been raised and spent on upgrades to the course and on scholarships. Since there was no fundraiser this year, the outlook for next year is uncertain. Anne O’Connell thanked the Friends for the projects done this year and those that might be upcoming. Discussion followed.
- The weather has been great during the past few weeks. Leaf-drop clean-up continues and should be over in the next few weeks. Bunker and trap repair is underway. The sink hole on Starboard to the left of the green is being repaired. Thanks to the DPW there is quite a bit of fill left and will be used in other areas shortly. The irrigation system will be blown out the week after Thanksgiving. The greens could be aerated on the 7th or the 14th. This matter is still under discussion. The soil tests have been completed. The driving range project is under way. Material removed from the driving range will be used on the golf course.
- Mark O’Brien reported there is a request for a memorial bench in memory of Charlie Buckley. The Selectboard will take this up at their December 7th
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by John Kissida, for acceptance of the Charlie Buckley memorial bench, location at the discretion of the Director. Motion approved unanimously.
- The monthly financial report was presented. October set records, being up significantly in all categories. Fiscal year revenues are up about $430,000 over last year. Discussion followed. Play for October exceeded any monthly play in the last 20 years.
- Anne O’Connell received a lengthy email regarding tee time allocation that she would like discussed while Mark O’Brien is still at the golf course and when the new director is on board.
- Jay Packett presented the new calendar month-by-month, answering questions as presented.
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Carl Blanchard, to approve the 2021 calendar as presented. Motion approved unanimously.
- Jay Packett presented the rates which will be the same as last year; he discussed the rates being in line with the other golf courses. Anne O’Connell asked for comments from the golf commission. Discussion followed.
Questions and comments from Associations and liaisons:
- The golf commissioners agreed that the rates should remain the same. Rob Harris discussed rates and tee times. Mark O’Brien discussed future projections. Discussion followed.
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Carl Blanchard, that the golf commission recommend season rates for membership and daily green fees for the calendar year 2021 remain the same. Motion approved unanimously.
- Sarah Robinson reported the Women’s 18-Hole Association sent two teams to the Mass Golf State Championships. One of those teams won, making them first in the state in the championships.
- In answer to an email Rob Harris sent to the membership of the CCMGA Board, there were two questions: what can be done to have the golfers replace their divots because giant pieces of grass
are six feet in front of a giant hole in the fairway and to level every tee box and fix the cart paths.
Short- and long-term Capital Projects:
- Mark O’Brien reported on the projections he sent out noting that it’s necessary to keep in mind that revenues are being outpaced by the expenses and how that will impact the ability to do the capital projects going forward. The biggest impact projects are the maintenance building and the irrigation system. Discussion followed regarding projects going forward. Regarding tee box renovations, Colin Walsh reported a lot of the work can be done in-house. Rob Harris asked about revenue in order to keep up with the expenses and suggested the capital plan be revised to utilize the extra money made this year. Colin Walsh made some suggestions.
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by John Kissida, to approve currently the FY 22 capital plan as presented and authorize Mark O’Brien to go forward presenting through 2026 for his 5-year forecast.
- Mark O’Brien discussed the sink-hole issue which had been removed from this projection and stated he would like to add $20,000 in FY22 to address the sink holes in the cart barn and the parking lot.
- Jeff Odell withdrew his motion.
- Dave Valcourt discussed his earlier comments regarding the FY22 budget and suggested more be spent in FY23 choosing items visible to the membership, putting a smaller amount into retained earnings and indicated he supports Mark in the repair of the sink holes.
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by John Kissida,0that an FY 22 capital plan in the amount of $452,00 with the items published on the report we have now plus the addition of $20,000 under sink hole repair be approved. Motion passed unanimously.
- Review and Approve minutes:
A motion was made by Andrea Johnson, seconded by Carl Blanchard to approve the minutes of 9/1/2020. Motion passed with one abstaining.
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Carl Blanchard to approve the minutes of 9/22/20 as amended. Motion passed unanimously.
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Carl Blanchard to approve the minutes of 10/6/20. Motion passed unanimously.
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Carl Blanchard to approve the minutes of 10/20/20. Motion passed unanimously.
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate:
Future agenda items and meetings:
- Tee time allocations.
A motion to adjourn was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by John Kissida, and passed 7-0. The meeting was adjourned at 5:45 pm.