The following are the minutes of the Brewster Golf commission held on 11/15/2011.
Commissioners present: Rob Harris, Chairman
Staff present: Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations
Steve Mann, Superintendent
Others Present: Jim Foley, Selectmen Liaison
Joanne Liberles, Women’s 18-Hole Association
Ginny O’Loughlin, Women’s 9-Hole Association
R. Harris called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Golf Consultant Screening Committee Report:
L. Arnold reported that the committee comprised of herself as chairperson, Rob Harris, Cindy Bingham, Chris Kenney, and Jim Foley reviewed the five (5) proposals that were received.
The proposal from The Golf Consulting Group from Ohio was chosen. Their proposal was chosen before the price proposals were reviewed. When the price proposals were opened, it turned out that their proposal of $20,500 was the lowest.
The contract was sent out today from Charlie Sumner’s office.
A liaison group to be appointed by the Selectmen will work with the consultant during the process. This liaison group has not been named as yet.
Approval of previous minutes:
J. Ehrhart made a motion, seconded by L. Arnold to approve the Golf Commission minutes from the October 12, 2011 meeting as written.
Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):
- The financial reports through October were reviewed. For the 4th month in a row, green fee and cart fee revenue was up and we continue to be on track with our FY2012 projections.
- The five-year capital plan was distributed to the Commission. M. O’Brien, S. Mann, and R. Harris will be meeting with the Capital Planning Committee sometime in December to review the plan.
Superintendent’s Report (Steve Mann):
The course is in great shape.
The 32-week employees will be laid off for the season as of this Wednesday.
The 40-week employees will be laid off for the season the Friday before Christmas.
Once again, we had a power outage to the pumps caused by corrosion in the electrical line that is fed from Freemans Way to the pump houses. This has happened twice over the past several years. We will need to replace this line at some point at a substantial cost, $40,000+/-.
J. Foley suggested that we add the replacement of this electrical line to our capital plan.
We only used about 27 million gallons of water this year for irrigation.
A relay switch at pump house #1 blew, which shut down 19 satellites.
The satellites on the expansion holes are outdated and they do not make the parts for these any longer. To replace all the satellites would be very expensive so we will replace them as needed.
We continue to have problems with the European crane flies. There are two types, those with one life-cycle and those with two life-cycles. We have the ones with two life-cycles. Steve will be applying a pesticide to control these.
We just completed liming the fairways on the original course. Soil tests indicated this was necessary.
We will close the Port Course as of the Monday after Thanksgiving and keep the Starboard open through the winter. If demand warrants, we may open up the Port as we did last year.
Calendar of Events – 2012:
M. O’Brien presented a calendar of events for 2012. J. Ehrhart made a motion, seconded by A. O’Connell to approve the calendar as submitted. Motion approved unanimously.
On the calendar, a date for the Cape Cod Women’s Golf League was included. This date was approved, but the fee will be established by M. O’Brien after he gathers information from other courses regarding what they charge for this event.
Review of Rates for 2012:
· M. O’Brien distributed an analysis of play during the month of July 2011, broken down hour by hour. It indicates that demand drops off significantly after 9:00 a.m.
· M. O’Brien distributed a proposed rate sheet (excluding Annual Fee Player (AFP) fees) for 2012. He is proposing no change in the rates. Some discussion followed regarding increasing the prime rate by a few dollars and/or extending the prime rate to before 10:00 a.m. as opposed to 9:00 a.m. After discussion the consensus was to make no change.
· J. Ehrhart made a motion, seconded by L. Arnold to approve the rates as presented by M. O’Brien. Motion approved unanimously.
· The rates for AFPs were brought up, but it was felt that we should wait until the consultant completes his work before any action is taken on this.
An email from Maureen Steinmann representing Brewster’s All Citizen’s Access Committee was read thanking the Golf Department and the Commission for purchasing an accessible golf cart enabling golfers with disabilities to continue playing.
- A request was received to place a memorial bench in honor of a past member, Bernie Cooper, on the course. This request has been approved by the Selectmen and now requires Commission approval. It meets all of the guidelines established by the Commission. J. Ehrhart made a motion, seconded by L. Arnold to approve the bench to be located at a site designated by M. O’Brien. Motion approved unanimously.
- J. Ehrhart recognized J. O’Connell, past Golf Commissioner, who was in attendance and thanked her for coming.
J. Ehrhart made a motion, seconded by R. Harris, to adjourn the meeting. Motion approved unanimously.
The next meeting will be December 13, 2011 at 4:00 p.m.