Commissioners Present: John Piemontese (Chair), Wyn Morton (Vice-Chair), Carl Blanchard, Anne O’Connell, Jeff Odell, and Andrea Johnson. Ed Pavlu was absent.
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Jerri Carlin (Friends of Captains), Paige Ferraguto (18-Hole Women’s Association), Jackie Ferraguto (9-Hole Women’s Association), Bill O’Brien (CCMGA), and Cindy Bingham (Select Board liaison).
This meeting was held at the Brewster Town Hall and may be viewed at http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=1411
Call to Order: John Piemontese called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
- Jackie Ferraguto, Friends of The Captains reported the new bases for the patio umbrellas have been delivered.
- Jerri Carlin reported Paige Ferraguto is no longer looking into purchasing cabinets for the bathroom. The cabinets that were ordered did not fit.
- Membership applications for the 9-hole association will go out the first of the year.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- Carl Blanchard had nothing to report.
- Many thanks to Eric Schwebach for his work over the past few years.
- Discussion followed regarding the steps in aerating the fairways.
- Peter Ervin is getting estimates for tree pruning on Starboard 12 and 14 and for sink hole repairs.
- Damage from the recent flood was discussed.
- Friends of Richard Golden would like to have a bench placed on the Starboard Course in his memory. Richard was an original member of The Captains.
- A motion was made by Anne O’Connell, seconded by Wyn Morton to accept the gift of a bench to be placed on the Starboard Course in memory or Richard Golden. Motion passed unanimously. This request will be sent to the Select Board for approval.
- The turkey shoot will be on Saturday with 64 players.
- The course is down to a skeleton crew with all of the part-time staff being laid off by the end of the month.
- The revenue report was discussed.
- The tile work in the ladies’ room is scheduled.
- The carpets will be cleaned throughout the building probably in January.
- The painter will be painting the restaurant area and some of the outside areas.
- Costs for the new refrigerator and dishwasher are being determined.
Status of RFP:
- The bid opening was on November 8. There were two proposals being considered. The committee will meet tomorrow to discuss those proposals. The committee recommendation will be forwarded to the Town Manager, the contract to be awarded by November 30 and signed by the lessee within five days.
Calendar for 2018:
- Changes were made to the 2018 calendar.
- A motion was made by Ann O’Connell seconded by Jeff Odell to approve the calendar as amended. Motion passed unanimously.
- Mark O’Brien presented a rate comparison with other courses and recommended all rates be kept the same. Discussion followed.
- Jeff Odell made a motion, seconded by Andrea Johnson, to accept Mark O’Brien’s recommendation to hold the rates consistent for next year. Discussion followed. Motion passed 5-1-0.
Use of Pro Shop Credits:
- Ann O’Connell question whether the use of pro shop credits could be expanded to be used for golf carts. Discussion followed.
Web Site Updates:
- Wyn Morton handed out updates which show how the website is operating. Discussion followed.
Future Agenda Items:
Review and Approve Minutes:
- Anne O’Connell made a motion, seconded by Jeff Odell to approve the 10/17/17 minutes as written. The motion was approved 6-0-0.
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate:
Wyn Morton made a motion, seconded by Carl Blanchard, to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved 6-0-0. Meeting adjourned at 5:15 p.m.
The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held on December 12, 2017 at noon.