Commissioners Present: John Piemontese (Chair), Carl Blanchard (Vice Chair), Wyn Morton, Anne O’Connell, Jeff Odell and Dave Valcourt. Commissioner Andrea Johnson was not present.
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin (Course Superintendent), Cindy Bingham (Select Board liaison), Jerri Carlin, Jackie Ferraguto, Bill O’Brien (CCMGA), Bill Meehan (Finance Committee liaison) Joe Monger and Tom Carroll.
Call to Order: John Piemontese called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- Pete Ervin advised the commission that the aeration of both courses was substantially complete and work continues on the expansion of the greens. Pete highlighted the fact that due to the hard work of his crew, the course is ‘ready for spring’. John Piemontese passed along a compliment he received that stated the course was in as good a shape as it has ever been.
- Mark O’Brien reported that the Captains was hosting the five Lower Cape Chambers of Commerce that afternoon. He also reported that memberships for the period 1/1 through the first 10 days of April were up over last year. Especially encouraging is the fact that there are, to date, 32 new memberships; 18 Resident and 14 Non-Resident.
- Mark also advised the commission that if it appears that the golf course budget will end the year in the red, he will recommend that we offer an incentive regarding golf carts. This will only occur as a last resort if additional cash is needed prior to 6/30.
- Colin Odell and Chuck Hanson from the Energy Committee joined the Commission meeting. Both of them had been involved in the vendor interview process along with the Cape and Vineyard Electric Cooperative, Inc. (CVEC), Mark O’Brien and Jeff Odell.
- Mark advised the commission that 3 vendors had been interviewed for the golf course solar project which involves the Starboard parking lot as well as the driving range. Ultimately it is CVEC who awards the individual town projects (such as the golf course) to a particular vendor.
- Jeff Odell gave a brief overview of the three vendors who had bid on the golf course project. This included a discussion of the role that Eversource plays in driving an implementation date. He further advised that the proposed golf course project would be a straight 20 year lease. He distributed a Utility Cost Upgrade Sensitivity Analysis which had been prepared by Colin Odell which allowed the commission to see the value of the project under three Utility Upgrade Scenarios. He also distributed a photographic rendering of the project.
- Upon questioning from the commission, the two members of the Energy Committee advised that their committee was generally in favor of the project.
- A question was raised regarding the possibility of unforeseen increases in the upgrade cost and the commission was advised that the vendor is liable for any such increases.
- Discussion followed about other potential options other than the one being presented at the meeting. Positive impacts for the golf course, other than the net annual lease payments, were brought up including the town’s movement towards becoming a ‘Green Community’.
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell and seconded by Anne O’Connell to endorse the forwarding of the proposal to the Selectboard for their approval. The motion carried 5-1.
- After the motion was approved, Pete Ervin spoke about the project from a maintenance and aesthetics perspective. The Commission advised Pete that they value his opinion.
Future Agenda Items:
- Website Update
- Strategic Plan
- Possible discount for Cape Baseball League Coaches
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate
- It was announced that the Spring Member event scheduled for 6/14 would be postponed due to financial constraints.
Review and Approve Minutes
- Anne O’Connell made a motion to approve the minutes of the 3/12/19 meeting as printed. Dave Valcourt seconded. Motion approved 6-0.
- Carl Blanchard made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Wyn Morton. Motion approved 6-0 and the meeting adjourned at 5:25
The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held on Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 4:00 pm at
The Captains Golf Course.