Commissioners Present: Anne O'Connell (Chair), Ed Pavlu, Cindy Bingham, Marc Fontaine, and Wyn Morton.

 

Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Joe Jamiel (Ardeos), Jerri Carlin (Friends of Captains), and Jackie Ferraguto (Women’s 9-Hole Assn.).

 

This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at: http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=798

 

Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.

 

Public Comment:

 

  • Jerri Carlin reported that the Women’s 9-Hole Association started last week and this week is their Welcome Back Coffee.
  • Jerri Carlin announced that the Friends of the Captains will once again host the Welcome Back Snowbirds tournament on June 7. She also reported that the new water cooler enclosures have been installed and look great.  

 

Restaurant Issues:

 

  • Mark O’Brien made a comment that he and Joe Jamiel have spoken about the problem that was brought up by one of the members in regard to the slow service at the restaurant on May 3. He said that Joe acknowledged the issue and is taking steps to correct the problems.
  • Joe Jamiel explained that their chef had to go to the hospital that day and it was the only day that Joe was not in since they opened. It has been difficult to gauge the volume based on the fluctuation in traffic. He is using this episode to improve the operation.
  • Marc Fontaine asked if the restaurant is now fully staffed. Joe stated that he is close and will be fully staffed within the next couple of weeks.
  • The idea was discussed about having all orders taken at the counter and then a server brings it to the table when the food is ready. This was felt to be a good idea.
  • Ed Pavlu suggested having a specified area for golfers from the Starboard making the turn.
  • Joe Jamiel said that he would like to have a sign on the 8th hole to have people call in their order so that it would be ready when they make the turn.

 

Correspondence and Suggestion Box:

 

  • Hole #3 Port red yardage is incorrect. Pete will check.
  • Slow play signs in the carts. Mark will take care of that.
  • Make sure carts are washed especially windshields. Mark will make sure this taken care of.
  • Wyn Morton asked if people could submit suggestions from the web site. Mark O’Brien said they can, but it is not prominent. Mark said he will look into improving its visibility.

 

Superintendent’ Report:

 

  • Pete thanked everyone for their cards and well wishes on the birth of his little girl Shelby.
  • The aeration was successful and Pete felt that it went very well doing it all in house as opposed to using the equipment from Harwich and Dennis.
  • Pete thanked his staff for the hard work and long hours that they put it to complete the aeration.
  • He also thanked Scott from the DPW who helped during aeration.
  • The sink hole project is almost complete, just waiting for a little bit of sod to be installed.
  • The staff has done a great job watering to keep the new sod alive in this dry weather.
  • Pete is paying attention to factors to help pace of play, such as keeping the rough shorter, pin placements, tee placements, etc.
  • Marc Fontaine asked about black oak galwasps. Pete said he is aware and is looking into the best way to deal with this pest.
  • Cindy Bingham asked when we would be able to speed up the greens. Pete said due to the cold early spring, he has not been able to speed them up yet. They will speed up as the season continues.
  • Ed Pavlu commented that our greens are in better condition than most of the other courses in the area that he has played.

 

Director of Operations Report:

 

  • Mark O’Brien reviewed the financials for April. We’re still on target to meet the FY2015 projections.
  • Cindy Bingham asked about Constant Contact. Mark said he would look into it.
  • Mark reported that we are required to go out to bid for the lightning warning system and the bids should be in by the end of June.
  • Mark reported that the Open House was successful. It was well attended and resulted in at least a couple of new members.
  • Wyn Morton asked about rain shelters. Mark O’Brien stated that it has been discussed before. He has concerns about them being a convenient nuisance and that they are not safe in lightning events.
  • Jerri Carlin asked how far out the lightning would be for the horns to sound. Mark O’Brien stated that it can be set how ever we wanted. He believes that 15 miles is the standard.

 

Update on FY2016 Budget:

 

  • The FY2016 budget was approved at Town Meeting. Thank you to Pat Hughes who responded to any negative comments regarding the golf budget. Mark O’Brien reiterated that the FY2016 budget is breakeven.  

 

Survey regarding 2015 memberships:

 

  • Mark O’Brien will come up with questions and distribute to the Commission to be discussed at the next meeting. He envisions two surveys: one to new members; and the other to the 2014 members that did not rejoin.   

 

Re-rating the golf course:

 

  • Cindy Bingham asked if we should have an MGA marker at each tee. Mark O’Brien said ideally that would be the case. He will look into ordering markers.

 

Action Items:

 

  • Mark O’Brien reported that the Cape Tech finished painting the snack shack. He is in the process of gathering quotes to complete some painting around the exterior of the clubhouse and starter shed.
  • Ed Pavlu is continuing to work on the Handbook.
  • Mark O’Brien reported that the POS software does not have the ability to collect zip codes at check in. We do have zip codes in the data base from people that book on-line or sign up for the on line contest.
  • Cindy Bingham made a motion, seconded by Ed Pavlu to approve the revised memorial bench policy (see attached). Motion approved unanimously.

 

Future Agenda Items:

 

  • Survey
  • Handbook
  • On course directional signs
  • Jerri Carlin said the Friends would like to donate the directional signs
  • Recap of pace of play for May
  • Member Tee Time ratio for 2015 season.

 

Approval of Minutes:

 

  • Cindy Bingham made a motion to approve the minutes of April 14, 2015, seconded by Ed Pavlu. The motion approved unanimously.

 

Topics the Chair did not Reasonably Anticipate:

 

  • Marc Fontaine asked what someone should do if they have a problem with the restaurant. Mark O’Brien stated that they should talk with the restaurant staff immediately. If that does not resolve the issue, then they should bring their concern to Mark O’Brien. If that does not result in satisfaction they should notify the Golf Commission. The final action would be to take the issue to the Board of Selectmen.
  • Marc Fontaine asked how we were doing with the ranger staff. Mark O’Brien stated that we have hired a number of new rangers and he is confident that they will do a good job.
  • Cindy Bingham mentioned that it would be a good idea to have the rangers wear their name tags on their hats. Mark O’Brien agreed.
  • Anne O’Connell asked what happened to the bench on #17 Starboard by the red tee. Pete stated that he will search for one to put out there.

 

Cindy Bingham made a motion, seconded by Marc Fontaine to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 5:20 p.m. The next meeting will be held on June 9, 2015 at the Town Hall.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations

X

The course is open today and carts are allowed.

¤