Commissioners Present: Anne O’Connell (Chair), Carl Blanchard, Ed Pavlu, and John Piemontese.
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin, (Superintendent), Jerri Carlin and Jackie Ferraguto (Friends of the Captains and Women’s 9-Hole Association), Ray DiPietro (CCMGA), and Chris Hardy (Women’s 18-Hole Association).
This meeting was held at the Town Hall. It was not videoed.
Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
- Jerri Carlin reported that the Friends tournament was a success thanks to all the volunteers, Steve Knowles, Mark O’Brien, Pete Ervin and their staffs. There were 90 players and 102 for dinner.
- Jerri reported that there are no upcoming projects that the Friends have to report on.
- Jerri also congratulated Cindy Bingham on her election to the Board of Selectmen and wished her well.
- Jerri reported that the 9-Hole Women’s Association Summer Cup is under way.
- Chris Hardy reported that LPGA Hall of Famer, Betsy King, will be here for the 18-Hole Women’s Association’s Member-Member in August. It will be covered by our local cable access channel. The tournament will raise funds for a charity called Golf for Africa.
- Ray DiPietro read a letter, on behalf of the Men’s Association, complementing the excellent job that Pete Ervin and his crew have done in maintain the golf courses this year as well as last.
- Anne O’Connell reported that Cindy Bingham has been appointed as the Selectmen liaison to the Golf Commission.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- Chris Hardy asked if a walking path could be mowed leading from Port 14 green to 15 tee. Pete Ervin said he would look into it.
Superintendent’s Report (Pete Ervin):
- Pete thanked his staff for all their hard work this year.
- Conditions have been dry and windy requiring a lot of hand watering.
- Mark O’Brien stated that we have been more successful filling the grounds positions this year due to a higher wage and the ability to offer OT to the seasonal staff. The seasonal staff picking up OT shifts has also relieved some pressure on the full time staff.
- Pete reported that he will be continuing the needle tining process of the greens again this summer. It is a very beneficial procedure for the turf and has virtually no impact on play.
Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):
- Mark O’Brien reported that we are still on target to exceed our financial projections for FY2016 and come in with a surplus of revenues over expenses.
- Mark O’Brien presented a memo with a recommendation for the tee time allocation for the upcoming season (see attached). Carl Blanchard made a motion, seconded by Ed Pavlu to approve the recommendation as presented. The motion passed 4-0-0.
- Mark O’Brien reported that he has ordered more handicap flags and rental push carts.
Cart Path from SB8 to SB9 (Carl Blanchard):
- Carl Blanchard wanted to make sure that this item stays on the radar. Mark O’Brien stated that it will be addressed during our capital planning process later this fall.
Restaurant Lease Update (Anne O’Connell):
- Anne O’Connell distributed a letter to the Board of Selectmen recommending the extension of the restaurant lease through December 31, 2017 (see attached). Carl Blanchard made a motion, seconded by John Piemontese, in support of sending the letter to the Board of Selectmen. The motion was approved 4-0-0.
- Course Re-rating update: The course rerating team completed their on-course work and we are awaiting the results. When we receive the new ratings, new cards will be ordered.
- Cart Path Improvements: Mark O’Brien has been in touch with Patrick Ellis from the DPW and he was going to give us an estimate of how many linear feet of path we could pave based on the money we have. The work will be coordinated with the DPW.
- Golf Course Doors/All Access Committee Project: The automatic door equipment has been installed. We still need a carpenter to do a little work on the doors to make them close properly. This work has been scheduled.
- Educating members about handicaps: Mark O’Brien will send out an email when the new ratings are in place.
Future agenda items:
- Web Site
- Marketing overview
- Commission reorganization
Approval of 5/10/16 minutes:
- John Piemontese made a motion, seconded by Carl Blanchard, to approve the Brewster Golf Commission minutes of May 10, 2016 as written. The motion was approved 4-0-0.
John Piemontese made a motion, seconded by Ed Pavlu to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved 4-0-0. Meeting adjourned at 5:12 p.m.
Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations