The following are the minutes of the Brewster Golf Commission meeting held on June 14, 2011. The meeting was called to order at 4:00 PM.
Commissioners present: Rob Harris, Chairman
Cindy Bingham, Vice-Chair
Joe Shaw, Commissioner emeritus
Staff present: Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations
Others present: Su Ballantine, Finance Committee Liaison
R. Harris called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS REPORT:
- The financials through May were reviewed.
- The Receipts Reserved for Appropriation Account through May was reviewed.
- Orin Segall asked about the Indirect Costs and why it was not publicized more. It was explained that it is a separate line item in the budget and that the costs are applicable to the Golf Department.
- The member data through May was reviewed.
- A request for refund of AFP fees was received from Sherree Eldredge. She has not played at all this year. R. Harris made a motion, seconded by C. Bingham to refund her AFP fee in full. Motion approved unanimously.
- A request for refund of AFP fees was received from Charlie Barringer. He played once this year when the fee was $45. R. Harris made a motion, seconded by C. Bingham to refund his AFP fee less $45. Motion approved unanimously.
- A request for refund of AFP fees was received from Marge Ritchie. She played three times when the applicable green fees added up to $169. R. Harris made a motion, seconded by C. Bingham to refund her AFP fee less $169. Motion approved unanimously.
- In the absence of S. Mann there was no report.
- C. Bingham reported that the call box on Port #9 has not been removed. M. O’Brien said he will inform S. Mann.
- J. Odell reported that there is a hanging branch over the ball washer on Starboard #16. M. O’Brien said he will inform S. Mann.
- C. Bingham said she observed grounds workers working late in the day at Ocean Edge. She was wondering if we could employ some kind of double shift system to work more efficiently. M. O’Brien said he will have S. Mann investigate.
- M. Fontaine asked what time we close the pro shop as he has observed people sneaking onto the course after hours. M. O’Brien said that the pro shop currently closes at 6:00 p.m., but that changes to 7:00 p.m. in the last week of June. Hopefully the later closing time will curb the problem.
MEMBER TEE TIME ALLOCATION FORMULA:
- R. Harris presented a plan to change the member tee time allocation (see attached). J. Odell made a motion, seconded by C. Bingham to approve the plan as presented. Motion approved unanimously.
- J. Odell reported that we have gotten some coupons used from the partnership with the Western Mass sports store. He is also working with Nickerson State Park to distribute coupons.
JUNIOR GOLF & COMMUNITY OUTREACH IDEAS:
- Su Ballantine suggested setting up a program in cooperation with the Brewster elementary schools and the Brewster Rec. Department for junior golf to build good will in the community and promote the game. M. O’Brien will contact the rec. Department to see if they can come up with a program.
APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
- The minutes from the May 10, 2011 meeting were reviewed. A spelling change was noted. A motion made by C. Bingham, seconded by J. Ehrhart, to approve the minutes as amended. Motion passed unanimously.
- The water cooler in the clubhouse hallway was discussed. The water is not cold. M. O’Brien said it cannot be repaired but needs to be replaced. There was no money in the FY11 budget for this. A sign was suggested to inform customers that the water is only room temperature. M. O’Brien will look into this and replacement.
- J. Odell suggested setting up a fund to replace the patio furniture. He and C. Bingham will look into this further.
- R. Harris reported that the Board of Selectmen reappointed J. Ehrhart, C. Bingham, and A. O’Connell to the Golf Commission.
Since there was no other business, a motion was made by J. Ehrhart to adjourn the meeting, seconded by C. Bingham. The motion was approved unanimously. The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held on July 12, 2011.