June 12, 2018

Commissioners Present:  John Piemontese (Chair), Anne O’Connell (Vice-Chair), Carl Blanchard, Wyn Morton, Andrea Johnson and Jeff Odell. Ed Pavlu was absent.

 

Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Bill O’Brien (CCMGA), Margaret Litavis (9-Hole Women’s Assn.), Cindy Bingham (Select Board liaison), Bill Meehan (Finance Committee liaison), Sean Sullivan (Freemans Grill), Donna Potts, Jerri Carlin, Jacki Ferraguto, and Michael Prego.

 

This meeting was held at the Captains Golf Course and was not televised.

 

Call to Order: John Piemontese called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.

 

Public Comment:  

 

  • Jackie Ferraguto reported that the Annual Friends of the Captains golf tournament was held on June 3 with 104 golfers. The event netted approximately $4,700. The course was in great condition and the dinner was excellent.
  • Jackie also reported that the applications for the scholarship that the Friends give to the junior summer school program have gone out to the elementary schools.
  • Jerri Carlin stated that the Freemans Grill offered complimentary appetizers and a drink as the golfers finished their round after the Friends tournament. It was greatly appreciated.
  • Cindy Bingham reported that there is no Town requirement that the Golf Commission meetings be held at Town Hall and/or televised.
  • Michael Prego, a member at the Captains, is doing a project to research the history of the names of the Captains that inspired the naming of the course. All were grateful for his efforts and will help any way possible.

 

Correspondence and Suggestion Box:

 

  • Carl Blanchard stated there were 26 suggestions to put paper towels back in the rest rooms. Mark O’Brien will work with Sean Sullivan to take care of this.

 

Superintendent’s Report:

 

  • Course is in good shape.
  • We are still having issues with the irrigation system.
  • The well reconditioning project of well one and the jockey well should be completed by the end of June.
  • All seasonal positions have been filled.

 

Director’s Report:

 

  • Mark O’Brien reported that there are currently a total of 936 members compared with 934 at this same time last year. There are a total of 80 new members.
  • The financial report for May was positive with total revenues up by $85,000 over last year. We are still projected to fall short of our FY2018 projections due to the poor start to the fiscal year. Our expenses are projected to come in under budget.

 

Individual Tee Times:

 

  • Anne O’Connell asked for this to be discussed because she was concerned that members were making tee times for four people and showing up with only three because they did not want to be paired up with anyone. She was wondering if this was costing the course revenue.
  • Mark O’Brien, stated that we have not really been turning singles away and he does not believe it is costing us revenue, but he will continue to monitor it.
  • It was noted that penalty points are issued to those that make a tee time and do not show up.

 

Freemans Grill:

 

  • Sean Sullivan of the Freemans Grill was in attendance and reported that they are exceeding their revenue projections.
  • He stated that the kitchen equipment, while old is sufficient for the operation.
  • They are working on their web site. When it is complete Mark O’Brien will add the link on the Freemans Grill page of our web site.

 

Five-Year Capital Plan:

 

  • Mark O’Brien distributed a draft projection out five years and a list of projects that will need to be undertaken in the future.
  • Mark and Pete will work to prioritize a list of future projects and potential costs.

 

Future agenda items:

 

  • None at this time.

 

Review and Approve Minutes:

 

  • Wyn Morton made a motion to approve the minutes of the May 10, 2018 meeting as printed. The motion was seconded by Carl Blanchard. The motion was approved 6-0-0.

 

Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate:

 

  • John Piemontese congratulated Andrea Johnson on the great season that the Nauset HS Girls Golf Team had. They came in first in their league. He also stated that she deserves a great deal of credit for the increased numbers of girls in the program.
  • Mark O’Brien stated that the Captains will host a Nauset HS girls junior varsity team in addition to the varsity team next year.

 

 

 

Adjourn:

 

  • Anne O’Connell made a motion, seconded by Wyn Morton, to adjourn the meeting.
  • Motion passed 6-0-0.
  • Meeting adjourned at 5:50.

 

The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 4:00 at the Captains Golf Course.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Mark O’Brien

Director of Operations

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!