Commissioners Present: Anne O’Connell (Chair), Jeff Odell (Vice-Chair), Cindy Bingham, Wyn Morton, Ed Pavlu, and John Piemontese. (Carl Blanchard, absent).
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Jerri Carlin (Friends of Captains & Women’s 9-Hole Assn.), Jim O’Leary (FinCom liaison), and Jackie Ferraguto.
This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at: http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=949
Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
- Jerry Carlin reported the 9-holers are in the process of sending out their renewal letters.
- The port-a-potty enclosures are up.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- Mark O’Brien reported that on Thursday, January 7, the Energy Committee will be having a meeting to discuss solar panel canopies and will be discussing whether or not to recommend going forward with a proposal to partner with the contractor who is looking to lease land from the town to erect these solar canopies. The golf course is one of the primary sites. The town will receive the lease revenue, the energy credits will go to the contractor. Friday, January 8, is the deadline as to whether the town will participate. This proposal, if approved, would go before Town Meeting. Cindy Bingham will attend the meeting.
Superintendent’s Report (Pete Ervin):
- Pete Ervin expressed thanks to his staff and the outside staff for a great year and is looking forward to next year. He commended the staff for the conditions of the course. Due to the winter being mild so far, additional work has been done which will continue to protect the course from possible weather conditions.
- Half of the fairway yardage markers are in and installed.
- The mechanics are working to maintain the fleet.
- Winter tree work is being done.
- Cindy Bingham asked if the memorial benches could be levelled and protected from splash-up during wet weather.
Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):
- The family of Ron Filippi has requested a memorial bench. A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Ed Pavlu to approve this request. Motion passed unanimously.
- Mark O’Brien presented the financials for December. Half-way through the fiscal year the revenues are up. Calendar year figures are up.
- Mark O’Brien is scheduled to meet with the Town Administrator and the Town Accountant tomorrow and meet with the Selectmen within the next couple of weeks.
- Cindy Bingham raised the question of the concern raised at the capital planning meeting regarding the main pump and the electrical line. Mark O’Brien does not believe these problems can be addressed until the consultants present their findings most likely late in the fall.
- Jim O’Leary, Liaison for the Finance Committee, asked about year-over-year reports. Copies of these reports will be sent to him in time for the next Finance Committee meeting.
Review and Approval of Golf Commission Letters to BOS:
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Ed Pavlu to approve the wages increase letter for part-time personnel to be sent to the Town Administrator and the Board of Selectmen. Motion passed unanimously.
- A motion was made by Cindy Bingham, seconded by Jeff Odell to approve the original golf course receipts reserved for appropriation accounts and projected schedule of transfer letter with the amendment as presented by Jeff Odell. Motion passed unanimously.
Web Site (Wyn Morton):
- The drone video now has the voice-over as added by the webmaster.
- Carl Blanchard will be speaking with Cape Cod Tech on Thursday about the installation of hand dryers.
- There was a discussion regarding possible vacation memberships.
Working Session with Marketing Consultant:
- Mark O’Brien will set up an initial meeting with the new marketing advisor, Wyn Morton and Charlie Heller, and will then schedule a future working meeting.
Future agenda items:
· Hand Dryers
· Solar Canopies
Approval of 12/8/15 minutes:
- A motion was made by Cindy Bingham, seconded by Ed Pavlu to approve the minutes of December 8, 2015. Motion passed unanimously.
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate:
- Letter to staff
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Cindy Bingham to reconsider the new non-resident incentives and authorize Mark O’Brien to continue these issues. Motion passed unanimously.
Cindy Bingham made a motion, seconded by Ed Pavlu, to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved 6-0-0. Meeting adjourned at 4:50 p.m.
Dorothy Vesperman, Senior Clerk