Commissioners Present: John Piemontese (Chair), Carl Blanchard, Anne O’Connell, and Ed Pavlu. Wyn Morton, Andrea Johnson and Jeff Odell were absent.
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Paige Ferraguto (18-Hole Women’s Association), Jackie Ferraguto (9-Hole Women’s Association), Bill Meehan (Finance Committee liaison), Cindy Bingham (Select Board liaison), Mike Embury (Town Administrator), Dave Whitney (Select Board).
This meeting was held at the Captains Golf Course conference room and was not televised.
Call to Order: John Piemontese called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.
- Mark O’Brien distributed a revised projection of revenues and expenses through 2022. The revision included a 3% increase for all membership categories for the 2018 golfing season. In addition, the projections included an additional 3% increase in AFP rates for the 2019 golfing season. The other adjustments to the projection included adjusting the FY2019 and FY2020 Part Time Wage line item to reflect our actual historical usage in this category, level funding operating expenses in FY2020, a reduction of the health insurance costs from a 10% increase to a 6% increase based on a recent vote of the Select Board for these costs for all departments, and a reduction of the cost of the irrigation well reconditioning from $80,000 to $60,000 scheduled for this winter based on a more accurate quote. The effect of these changes result in the Golf Fund Reserve remaining solvent through FY2020 and then increasing in future years.
- Mike Embury commented that the Golf Department has been “pinching pennies” to make the golf budget work. He also stated that the Town is looking into options in regard to restructuring the Golf debt to ease the stress on the Golf budget.
- Bill Meehan (Finance Committee) and Dave Whitney and Cindy Bingham (Select Board) commented that from their perspective, they could support the FY2019 Golf budget request based on the above adjustments.
- Carl Blanchard made a motion, seconded by Anne O’Connell, to approve a 3% increase in all AFP rate categories for the 2018 golf season. The motion was approved 4-0-0.
- John Piemontese announced that Wyn Morton is resigning as Vice-Chair of the Golf Commission. He will remain on the Golf Commission as a regular member.
- John Piemontese asked for nominations for a new Vice-Chair. Ed Pavlu nominated Anne O’Connell, seconded by Carl Blanchard. There were no other nominations. The vote was 4-0-0 in favor of Anne O’Connell as the new Vice Chair.
- Anne O’Connell made a motion, seconded by Ed Pavlu, to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved 4-0-0.
The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held on February 13, 2018 at 4:00.
Director of Operations