Commissioners Present: Rob Harris (Chair), Jim Ehrhart (Vice Chair), Cindy Bingham, Anne O'Connell, Ed Pavlu, Marc Fontaine.
Others Present: Mark O'Brien (Director of Golf Operations), Ben deRuyter (Board of Selectmen), Judy McCarthy (Women’s 18-Hole Assn.), Jerri Carlin (Women’s 9-Hole Assn.), Jo O’Connell, Ryan Cullinan.
Call to Order: Rob Harris called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Association Reports and Public Comment:
- Jerri Carlin said the renewals for the Women’s 9-Hole Association have been sent out.
- Jerri Carlin reported that the Friends of the Captains is hosting a Valentine’s Dinner on February 14.
Superintendent Search Update:
Rob Harris reported that a search committee was formed by Charlie Sumner. The committee consists of Mark O’Brien, Jill Douglass, Rob Harris, Jim Ehrhart, Marc Fontaine, and Karney Ovian. Forty applications were received. The committee reviewed the resumes and identified 14 candidates to interview. One of these 14 withdrew before the interview. After the first interview, six candidates were selected for a second interview. One of these candidates withdrew prior to the second interview. The remaining five are going to be interviewed on January 15 and 17 by Charlie Sumner, Mark O’Brien, Rob Harris, and Jim Ehrhart. The final selection should be done within the next couple of weeks. Rob stated that the quality of the applicants was excellent and he feels that any of the 5 finalists would be a great fit for the Captains.
Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):
- Mark O’Brien reported that Stote Ellsworth’s children have requested to donate a bench in Stote’s memory. The Board of Selectmen have already approved accepting the bench as a gift and now Mark is requesting that the Golf Commission accept the request. The bench is to be placed behind the Port #1 blue tee. Cindy Bingham made a motion, seconded by Anne O’Connell to allow the bench. The vote was 6 in favor, 0 against.
Discussion of 5-Year Capital Plan:
· Mark O’Brien distributed the 5-year plan to the commission. He and Rob Harris met with the Capital Planning Committee previously to review the plan. Mark said that today he realized that he had left off a lightning detection system as was previously discussed. However, it could still be added. Anne O’Connell made a motion, seconded by Cindy Bingham, to approve the capital plan with the inclusion of the lightning detection system. Motion approved 6 in favor, 0 against.
Discussion of FY2015 Golf Budget:
· Mark O’Brien had sent the budget to the commission last week after he and Rob Harris had met with Charlie Sumner and Lisa Souve for a preliminary review. The budget for FY2015 shows a break even position after all expenses including debt service and capital.
· Jim Ehrhart expressed disappointment in the fact that the commission did not have the opportunity to review the budget prior to the preliminary review with Charlie Sumner and Lisa Souve. Mark O’Brien stated that the commission could still make changes if they wished as it has not yet been reviewed by the Selectmen or the FinCom. Jim Ehrhart felt that the commission should have had the first look at it. Mark O’Brien stated that he would make every effort to make that happen next year.
· Cindy Bingham made a motion, seconded by Anne O’Connell, to approve the budget as presented. Motion approved 5 in favor, 0 against, and 1 abstained (Jim Ehrhart).
Discussion of Calendar of Events for 2014:
- Mark O’Brien had sent out the calendar to the commission last week. Mark reviewed the calendar and discussion followed. Jim Ehrhart made a motion, seconded by Anne O’Connell, to approve the calendar as presented. Motion approved 6 in favor, 0 against.
- Rob Harris asked if the Women’s 9-Hole Association has a maximum handicap requirement to participate in their association weekly events. Anne O’Connell responded that there is and that the Women’s 18-Hole Association has a maximum handicap requirement as well. The main issue cited was for speed of play. Cindy Bingham stated that the practice was reviewed by Town Council and they gave an opinion that it was not discriminatory. Discussion followed on the merits of restricting Captains members from participating in approved block time groups. Rob Harris made a motion, seconded by Marc Fontaine to have both women’s associations (the men’s association has no restriction) present a letter to the Commission by April 30, 2014 stating their justifications for the handicap requirement. Motion approved 5 in favor, 1 against (Cindy Bingham against).
- Cindy Bingham questioned whether members with restricted play after 9:00 a.m. should be allowed to participate in the member tournaments that take place prior to 9:00 a.m. as has been the practice. Discussion followed. It was decided to make no change to this policy.
· Cindy Bingham stated that the Rules & Information Guide needs to be updated for the new Chelsea point system. Mark O’Brien said he take care of that.
· Cindy Bingham felt that there should be a Golf Commission point person assigned to deal with the nitrogen loading issues and the golf courses positive impact for the Town in this regard. Ben deRuyter stated that the town committee that is dealing with this issue for the Town is the Comprehensive Water Planning Committee. Cindy Bingham was appointed by Rob Harris to be the Golf Commission’s point person to keep the commission informed.
· Cindy Bingham asked if the point system for tee times has been finalized. It has not, and Mark O’Brien said he would put a draft together and distribute it to the Commission by February 4 and the Commission will vote on it at their February 11 meeting.
· Cindy Bingham asked if any action had been taken to repair the toilet in the women’s rest room. Mark O’Brien said a plumber had been contacted and it would be repaired by next week.
· Cindy Bingham asked if the outside lights on the cart barn that help illuminate the sidewalk that were not working have been addressed. Mark O’Brien reported that they have been fixed.
The next meeting will be held on February 11, 2014 at 4:00 p.m.
A motion to adjourn was made by Jim Ehrhart, seconded by Anne O’Connell, passed 6-0-0. Meeting adjourned at 5:40 p.m.
Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations