The following are the minutes of the Brewster Golf Commission meeting held on 2/12/2013 at the Captains Golf Course. The meeting was called to order at 4:00 PM by Cindy Bingham.


Commissioners present:                  Cindy Bingham, Chairperson


                                                            Jim Ehrhart, Vice-Chair


                                                            Anne O’Connell


                                                            Ed Pavlu


                                                            Marc Fontaine


                                                            Lori Arnold


                                                            Jeff Odell


                                                                                   


Staff present:                                     Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations


                                                            Steve Mann, Superintendent


                                                                       


Others Present:                                 Rob Harris, Men’s Association


                                                            Judy McCarthy, Women’s 18-Hole Assn.


                                                            Sharon Marotti, Women’s 9-Hole Assn.


                                                            Jerri Carlin


 


Cindy Bingham offered condolences on the passing of Ginny O’Loughlin, President of the Women’s 9-Hole Association.


 


Review of meeting minutes:


 


Jim Ehrhart made a motion, seconded by Anne O’Connell, to approve the minutes of the December 11, 2012 Golf Commission meeting. Motion approved unanimously.


 


Jeff Odell made a motion, seconded by Lori Arnold, to approve the minutes of the January 8, 2013 Golf Commission meeting. Motion passed unanimously with Jim Ehrhart abstaining.


 

Association Reports:


  • Sharon Marotti reported that 67 women have joined the 9-Hole Association to date. She is aware of 12 women who will not be renewing their membership at the Captains this year. The reasons include not playing enough, age, illness and 1 passed away.

  • Sharon also reported that the Women’s 9-Hole Association now has a web site up and running. The web address is www.cgc9holers.com.

  • Rob Harris reported that the Men’s Association did a mailing to their membership and their memberships are coming in slowly.

  • Judy McCarthy reported that approximately half of their membership has renewed to date.

  • Jeff Odell reported that The Friends of the Captains Golf Course raised $8,134 in 2012 and expended $6,784 on patio chairs, tables and umbrellas. They also completed projects including the bag rack, new fixtures in the women’s rest room, painting the pro shop, women’s rest room, and Port Course half way house rest rooms. Upcoming projects include the purchase of 16 more patio chairs, 6 more umbrellas, and 2 coat racks for the pavilion. Jeff also reported that they had 59 people for their Valentines’ dinner.


 

Suggestion Box:


  • The slip resistant strips for the pavilion stairs were discussed. Mark O’Brien reported that he installed some strips, but the weather was too cold and they did not hold. He has asked Steve Mann if he could install something temporary until the weather warms up. 


 


Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):


 


Mark O’Brien reported:


 


  • A request from the WGAM to host their Fall Cup matches on September 18 and/or September 26 was reviewed. Anne O’Connell made a motion, seconded by Jim Ehrhart to approve this request. The motion passed unanimously with Cindy Bingham abstaining.

  • On the January financial report.

  • An exit interview survey to members that did not renew their memberships at the Captains Golf Course was reviewed and it was agreed that this will be sent out a.s.a.p. by email.

  • The trim boards on the starter shed and pavilion will be repaired this spring.


 


Superintendent’s report


 


Steve Mann reported:


 


·        The debris on the golf course from the recent storms will be cleaned up as soon as the snow is gone.


·        20 trees came down from the storm.


·        There has been no sign of crane fly activity recently.


·        We are advertising to fill a 40week position that was left vacant by Howard Menges’ retirement.


 


 


Marketing:


 


  • Mark O’Brien will be attending the Boston, Portland, ME, and Hartford, CT golf shows in March.

  • It was noted that the Cape Cod Chamber is doing some promotion of weddings and Antonella should be made aware of this.

  • A dance floor in the pavilion was discussed. This is a matter that is the responsibility for the Back Nine Café if they wish to have one.

  • Mark O’Brien will try to have someone from our marketing firm attend the next meeting.


 


Review of BOS & FinCom meetings:


 


  • Cindy Bingham and Marc Fontaine met with the BOS on January 22nd to discuss the association block times. The BOS voted to overturn the Golf Commission vote regarding association block times. The association block times will now revert back to the schedule that was used in 2011. Their vote also said that only “Early” and “Non-Resident” members (as they have unrestricted status) would be allowed to participate in the Women’s 18-Hole and Men’s Association block times in July and August.

  • We are tentatively scheduled for February 25th to meet with the BOS on our FY2014 budget and warrant articles.

  • Cindy Bingham, Mark O’Brien, and Steve Mann met with the FinCom on January 23rd to review the FY2013 revised projections (showing a $225,000 deficit) and the FY2014 budget and warrant articles. The FinCom had some serious concerns regarding projected deficits and want to hear from the BOS to see how they plan on handling the situation.


 


Update on unfinished business from 2012:


 


  • Directional signage – Jeff Odell has been working on this and there are new sign regulations being contemplated by the Town.

  • Hour by Hour utilization during prime times – Mark O’Brien will have this for the next meeting.

  • Joe Swaluk regarding marketing – he was informed to contact Mark O’Brien in this matter and he never did so.

  • Posting menus on 9th tees – Mark O’Brien will work with Antonella on this for the upcoming season.

  • Brick under bag rack – completed.

  • Move bench closer to bag rack – not enough room.

  • Post “No alcohol unless purchased from Back 9 Café” signs – Antonella has now provide Mark O’Brien with the wording and he will have signs made up.

  • Install Astroturf on 6 Port path to green – Steve Mann will do this.

  • Speed of restaurant service and no lunch before 11:30 – Mark O’Brien discussed these items with Antonella and Nick last year and they will address.

  • Open snack shack by 9:00 a.m. – this will be done, but sometimes there are staffing issues.

  • Clean benches at all forward tees – Steve Mann will take care of this.

  • Driving range yardage markers – this is challenging due to the large size of the tee box. There are yardage markers in the ground on the tee box and Mark O’Brien will work to make them more visible.

  • Divot mix bottles at turn – Mark O’Brien will make sure the rangers and cart personnel take care of this.

  • Ball washers missing spike brushes – not all ball washers are going to be equipped with spike brushes, but Steve Mann will check to make sure that the ones that are supposed to have them, have them.

  • Bunker at driving range – Steve Mann will check on the condition of this bunker.


 


Other Business:


 


  • The Family Tees were discussed in regard to making the teeing areas more visible. Mark O’Brien and Steve Mann will work on this.


 


The next meeting of the Brewster Golf Commission will be held at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, March 12, 2013.


 

Jim Ehrhart made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Lori Arnold. Motion approved unanimously. 


Respectfully submitted,


Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations