Commissioners Present: Anne O'Connell (Chair), Jeff Odell (Vice-Chair), Ed Pavlu, Cindy Bingham, and Carl Blanchard (Marc Fontaine absent).

 

Others Present: Mark O'Brien (Director of Golf Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Jerri Carlin (Friends of Captains and Women’s 9-Hole Assn.), and Jackie Ferraguto.

 

This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at: http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=726

 

Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.

 

Public Comment:

 

  • Jerri Carlin announced that the 9-Hole Women’s association has had 43 members sign up so far. This includes one new player and 16 social members.
  • Cindy Bingham announced that Chris Hardy is the new President for the Women’s 18-Hole Association after the passing of former President Pat O’Keefe.
  • Anne O’Connell thanked Judy McCarthy for her service on the Golf Commission. Judy had to step down due to health issues.

 

Correspondence and Suggestion Box:

 

  • None
  • Cindy Bingham volunteered to take over the Suggestion Box duties.

 

Superintendent’ Report (Pete Ervin):

 

  • Pete Ervin reported that work has been halted on the sink hole project due to the snow. The contractor will be back on site as soon as the weather permits.
  • The maintenance staff continues to be busy with their winter work schedule of tree removal, equipment maintenance, painting various golf course accessories, etc.
  • Some of the golf course staff and equipment were utilized for plowing around town, in addition to plowing the golf course parking lot and shoveling around the clubhouse.
  • There were some seminars that the maintenance staff was planning on attending that have been postponed due to the storms.
  • Carl Blanchard asked whether the cost for having NSTAR assume ownership of the electrical line when it is installed to the irrigation pumps is required. Pete said that it is not required. This project is not contemplated in the immediate future.

 

 

 

 

Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):

 

  • Mark O’Brien thanked Pete Ervin and his staff that helped out the Town with plowing from the recent storm. Pete, Tom Flynn, Randy Jamieson, and Rob Campbell all plowed during the storm. Charlie Sumner, the DPW and the Fire Chief all expressed their thanks.
  • Mark O’Brien reported that we have 6 new non-resident members to date. We have 3 new resident “Early” members, 2 of which were referred by a current member.
  • The direct mailing will go out this week promoting our membership opportunities.
  • All told we have received 15 resident “Early”, 12 resident “Morning”, 1 resident “Twilight” and 11 non-resident “Early” memberships.
  • Mark O’Brien reported that people can now sign up for memberships on-line.
  • Mark O’Brien presented a request from Ragnar Relay Series race that they be allowed to use our far parking lot for a staging area on May 8 & 9. Cindy Bingham asked how we determine the area they can use. Mark O’Brien stated that he will determine the area they can use. The Commission had no issues with this.

 

Update on FY2016 Budget:

 

  • Anne O’Connell stated that the golf department budget will be reviewed by the Finance Committee tomorrow, February 11.
  • Mark O’Brien stated that the Finance Committee will be reviewing the first six months of operation of the golf course for FY2015. Mark distributed a report showing the first six months of operation and reviewed. We are currently on target to meet our breakeven projection for FY2015.
  • Carl Blanchard asked Mark if he could review the operating budget numbers with him to get a better handle on the reporting methods. Mark said that he would be happy to sit with him. Anne O’Connell asked if she could sit in on this as well.

 

Update on Last Month’s Action Items:

 

  • Mark O’Brien reported that the direct mail will go out this week.
  • Mark O’Brien has reached out to the Ocean Edge homeowners association to see if we could include our membership information. He has not received a reply.
  • Mark O’Brien reported that he has spoken with a representative from WOMR regarding advertising. He is waiting to receive more information regarding their audience demographics.
  • Mark O’Brien spoke with Kathy Lambert about social marketing. She said she had no ideas at the moment, but she will be happy to work with me on this. Mark will be attending a social media seminar on February 12.
  • Mark O’Brien had no new information on memorial benches. He is waiting for a local vendor to give him information on 6’ benches.
  • Mark O’Brien reported that he is thinking of taking out a booth at the Lower Cape Home Show in April. The Commission thought this would be worthwhile.
  • Mark O’Brien reported that we will be participating with the Cape Cod Chamber at the Boston and Portland golf shows.
  • Jerri Carlin presented a brick for possible use for a memorial brick program. She indicated that the Friends would like to use the memorial bricks as a fundraiser for their organization and would “own” the program. Pete Ervin stated that he wants to make sure that we try out the bricks first to see if they can be installed easily, determine where they would be installed, and look good. It was felt that this program would not just be for memorializing someone, but could be donated for any reason. Mark O’Brien stated that when we get to the point where we want to move forward, we will have to get approval from the Selectmen. All agreed that the walkway up to the clubhouse was the best location for this project.   

 

Bag Drop Staffing:

 

  • Mark O’Brien suggested that he discuss this with Carl Blanchard when they meet to review the budget information.

 

Future Agenda Items:

 

  • None at this time.

 

Approval of Minutes:

 

  • Cindy Bingham made a motion, seconded by Carl Blanchard that the minutes of January 13, 2015 be approved as written. Motion approved 5-0-0.

 

Topics the Chair did not Reasonably Anticipate:

 

  • Carl Blanchard asked about the warm-up nets. That was left in the hands of the Friends and they do not have funds for that project at this point in time.
  • Carl Blanchard asked about where we stand on re-rating the course. Mark O’Brien stated that he did speak with the MGA about that last year and they will do it, but we are going to wait until the construction project on the course is complete.
  • Carl Blanchard asked about the clubhouse painting project. Mark O’Brien stated that he had Cape Tech out this past fall to look at our needs. They were going to see if they could get it on their schedule.

 

Action Items:

 

  • Mark O’Brien will meet with Carl Blanchard and Anne O’Connell to clarify operating budget reporting.
  • Mark O’Brien will continue to reach out to the Ocean Edge Homeowners Association regarding inclusion in their newsletter.
  • Mark O’Brien will provide update on social media progress.
  • Mark O’Brien will come up with a memorial bench for approval at the next meeting.
  • Pete Ervin will work with the Friends to come up with a plan for the brick program.
  • Mark O’Brien will meet with Carl Blanchard and Anne O’Connell to discuss the possibility of bag drop attendants.  
  • Mark O’Brien will follow up with Cape Tech to see if they will be able to complete the painting work around the clubhouse.

 

Cindy Bingham made a motion, seconded by Ed Pavlu to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved 5-0-0. Meeting adjourned at 5:12 p.m.  

 

The next meeting will be held on March 10, 2015 at the Town Hall.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations