Commissioners Present: Anne O'Connell (Chair), Jeff Odell (Vice-Chair), Ed Pavlu, Cindy Bingham, Marc Fontaine, and Carl Blanchard. Judy McCarthy absent.
Others Present: Mark O'Brien (Director of Golf Operations), Pete Ervin (Superintendent) and Herb Montgomery (FinCom liaison).
This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at: http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=680
Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Correspondence & Suggestion Box:
FY 2016 Budget (Mark O’Brien):
· Mark O’Brien explained that after reviewing the five year capital plan with Pete Ervin, an item that has been on the radar, the electrical service to the irrigation system, may have an impact on the FY2016 budget. Ideally, Mark O’Brien said that he would like to replace this electrical service at the time when the irrigation system is upgraded, sometime around 2020. In discussions with an area electrician that has repaired the line in the past, the normal life for this type of cable is 40 – 50 years and we have not had a break in the line for the last three years. The electrician indicated that if there was a break it could be repaired within about 24 hours. The cost to install a new service is approximately on $90,000. It was felt that more information is required before a decision is made on the timing of this repair. Ed Pavlu suggested looking into a generator backup. Mark O’Brien said he would look into this.
· The current draft of the FY2016 golf budget as prepared by Mark O’Brien was reviewed and it included a 2.58% increase in wages and expenses. There was no increase in personnel with wage increases as per the Town directive. It did include increases to the part-time seasonal staff wage rates to account for the increase in the minimum wage and to stay above that level.
· No vote was taken to approve this budget as it will continue to evolve as we move through the budget process.
- Carl Blanchard discussed adopting the proposal from Jeff Odell to institute a two year program of reducing the non-resident AFP fee for current members by $125 per year for the next two years and offering a rate of $1,250 for any new non-resident members. Jeff Odell made a motion to adopt this proposal, seconded by Carl Blanchard. Discussion followed. The vote was 2 in favor (Jeff Odell and Carl Blanchard) and four against. Motion was defeated.
- Cindy Bingham made a motion to offer a one time only rate of $1,199 to any new non-resident AFP in 2015. Seconded by Anne O’Connell. Discussion followed. The vote was three in favor (Cindy Bingham, Carl Blanchard, and Anne O’Connell) and 3 against (Marc Fontaine, Ed Pavlu and Jeff Odell). The motion did not pass. As the vote was a tie, this will be addressed again at the next meeting.
- Anne O’Connell made a motion that we freeze the resident rate for individuals 85 and older at the rate in effect on the date that they turn 85. The motion was seconded by Jeff Odell seconded the motion. Motion passed 6 – 0.
- Cindy Bingham made a motion that we keep the Brewster resident AFP rates the same for 2015. The motion was seconded by Anne O’Connell. The vote was one in favor (Cindy Bingham), 5 against. The motion was defeated.
- Marc Fontaine made a motion that we increase the Resident “Early” membership from $850 to $900 and keep the other categories the same. Seconded by Anne O’Connell. Discussion followed. The vote was four in favor and 2 against (Cindy Bingham and Carl Blanchard against). The motion was adopted.
- Ed Pavlu talked about coming up with a marketing plan for the membership drive. Cindy Bingham suggested having a sub-committee for this and appointing Ed Pavlu as the Chairman.
Discuss Possible Future Agenda Items:
- Trial rate for new non-residents.
- Memorial benches.
- Memorial bricks.
- Capital plan update.
- FY2016 budget update.
- It was decided to hold a special meeting on December 15, 2014 at the Captains at 4:00 p.m. to discuss the trial rate for new non-resident members.
Approval of past meeting minutes:
- Cindy Bingham made a motion to approve the minutes of the November 10, 2014 meeting, seconded by Carl Blanchard. Motion approved 6-0.
Topics the Chair did not anticipate:
- Pete Ervin stated the tee and sink hole project is proceeding nicely.
- Mark O’Brien reported that the new carts are here.
- Mark O’Brien reported that Walter Boylan, a former employee and member, passed away recently. Anne O’Connell will write a note on behalf of the Commission to Walter’s wife.
Cindy Bingham made a motion, seconded by Ed Pavlu to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved 6-0. Meeting adjourned at 5:40 pm.
Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations