Commissioners Present: Anne O’Connell (Chair), Cindy Bingham, Carl Blanchard, Wyn Morton, Ed Pavlu, and John Piemontese. (Jeff Odell, absent).
Others Present: Mark O’Brien (Director of Operations), and Jerri Carlin (Friends of Captains & Women’s 9-Hole Assn.).
This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at: http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=935
Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
- Jerri Carlin reported she is still waiting on the fence company for the enclosures. Mark O’Brien reported that the ground markers have not yet come in.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box (Carl Blanchard):
- There was an inquiry from Dave Houghton through the suggestion box stating that there is no golf or weather channel available in the pro shop which he feels is totally unacceptable. Mark O’Brien explained that as a municipality the golf course gets free cable service which does not include these channels. Both the golf channel and the weather channel are available in the restaurant which he feels is the proper place to watch these channels. Carl Blanchard will respond to Mr. Houghton.
- In Peter Ervin’s absence, Mark O’Brien reported the maintenance staff has been focused on leaf clean-up for the last few weeks. Everything is going well, the course looks good. By the end of this month only the year-round people will be working.
Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):
- The request from the MGA to approve Captains hosting the Mid-Am Qualifier in August was previously approved; since then Mark O’Brien received a call from the MGA asking if instead Captains would host the 2-day Senior 4-Ball Championship in May. This event would be played at Cranberry Valley and at Captains and consists of 140 2-man teams. The players are 55 or older with a combined handicap of 12. They have requested May 23 and 24 or May 17 and 18. Mark would prefer May 23 and 24 as opposed to the August event; the course will be in good shape and further away from aerification. There are no greens fees paid in either of these events. Carts are required for this event, but not for the Mid-Am Qualifier. The players will be having lunch at the restaurant. The Commission had no objection to the change in events.
- FY2017 Budget—Monthly statements were not available. November was a very good month; total revenues were up $18,000 for the month. For the fiscal year, green fee revenues are up $82,000, cart revenues are up $34,000. The driving range revenue is $13,000. The budget is still on pace to succeed projections for the current fiscal year.
- In order to be placed on the warrant for the May town meeting, the budget needs to be submitted by December 18. The first week of January Mark O’Brien will meet with the Town Administrator and the Finance Director, and by January 11 the budget will be distributed to the Board of Selectmen and the Finance Committee and will be followed by a meeting with the Finance Committee and the Board of Selectmen. Mark O’Brien presented the FY 2017 budget projections with some changes anticipated. Long-range revenue projections were reviewed using the last 12-month period as a basis.
- The Commission will review the projected budget at the next meeting on January 5, 2016 which is the week before the budget will be presented to the Town.
- The capital plan was reviewed.
Web Site (Wyn Morton):
- The drone video is up on the website. It is the 60-second edited version. The script and music are in the process of being finalized and will be added to the video.
Restaurant Rental (Carl Blanchard):
- Carl Blanchard asked when the restaurant contract expires, whether a more full-service restaurant would be an asset and suggested that since there was only one bid previously for the restaurant, requests for bids be sent out early to generate some competition. Mark O’Brien stated the contract expires on December 31, 2016. Mark O’Brien will send copies of the request for bid to the commission. Cindy Bingham stated that Ardeo’s was the only bidder on the last bid.
Electric Hand Dryers (Carl Blanchard)
- The use of electric hand dryers was discussed. John Piemontese will contact Cape Cod Tech about possible installation.
- Scorecard revisions–Cindy Bingham will forward suggested revisions to Mark O’Brien.
- Pins with crystals–Mark O’Brien has spoken with Pete Ervin and will be ordering 40 pins with crystals.
- Vacation membership-Wyn Morton asked if there could be a meeting with a marketing person next year regarding this item. Discussion followed.
Future agenda items:
· Vacation membership.
· Budget review.
Approval of 11/10/15 minutes:
- Carl Blanchard made a motion to approve the 11/10/15 minutes as written, seconded by Ed Pavlu. The motion was approved 5-0-1. (Cindy Bingham abstained as she was absent for that meeting).
Cindy Bingham made a motion, seconded by Carl Blanchard, to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved 6-0-0. Meeting adjourned at 5:40 p.m.
Dorothy Vesperman, Senior Clerk