Commissioners Present: Anne O’Connell (Chair), Andrea Johnson (Vice-Chair), Carl Blanchard, John Kissida, Wyn Morton, Jeff Odell, and David Valcourt
Others Present: Colin Walsh, Golf Course Superintendent, Jay Packett (Asst. Oper. Mgr.), Rob Harris (CCMGA), Sarah Robinson (18-Hole Women’s Assn.) and Donna Potts (9-HoleWomen’s Assn.).
THIS MEETING WAS HELD REMOTELY WITH AUDIO AND VIDEO RECORDED. The meeting may be viewed at: http://video.brewster-ma.gov/CablecastPublicSite/show/5108?channel=1
Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 pm after reading remote meeting guidelines and procedures.
- It snowed recently, giving the course a break. The Port Course is closed for the duration of the winter, the Starboard Course will be open. The greens on Port have been deep-tined. Staff has been reduced to half schedule due to the increase in Covid. Colin received mail from Sarah Robinson regarding some work needing to be done. Winter staff is working.
- Jay Packett reported on requests for the following events to be put on/removed from the calendar: Brewster White Caps, June 29; Harwich Chamber of Commerce, May 26; the Men’s Association would like to give up June 16; Pals for Life, October 6. The Friends of Captains golf tournament will take place on Sunday August 29. Jay Packett clarified the rates.
- Jeff Odell made a motion, seconded by Andrea Johnson, to approve the additions to the calendar as outlined by Jay Packett. Discussion followed as to which course will be used for each event. Motion passed unanimously.
- Jay Packett advised he and Mark O’Brien discussed advanced reservations and suggested the following: hotel reservations will be accepted starting December 28. Advanced reservations for daily fee players will be accepted starting February 1. All groups will be restricted to a maximum of twenty players. Cranberry Valley is not doing events. Discussion followed. This will be discussed again at the next meeting.
- Back 9 tee times are again on the calendar. Anne O’Connell asked for the commissioners’ thoughts. Discussion followed. This matter will be revisited when/if tee time restrictions are lifted by the governor.
- Carl Blanchard asked for the status of the HVAC system in the clubhouse. Mark O’Brien has been trying to get in touch with McDonnell Mechanical and has not heard back.
FY2022 Budget Review and Vote:
- Jay Packett discussed the budget for FY22, figures based on those from this year. Membership numbers were discussed. Greens fees are based on the figures from 2019. Regarding expenses, staff is difficult to find, the numbers are reflected from a fully-staffed golf course. The increase in the minimum wage was also considered. There is currently a one year contract in place regarding the unions. There is a figure at the bottom or the spread sheet indicating contractual obligations in the event of union increases.
- General expense line items are generally based off historical data. The largest increase is for marketing and advertising.
- Some line items have increased due to additional greens applications needed due to the Pleasant Bay Watershed.
- Fringe benefits are figures from town hall.
- Peter Lombardi will be reviewing indirect costs as related to the golf course.
- Discussion followed.
- Jeff Odell moved approval of the FY 22 budget requests as published under the December 18, 2020 revision, total amount $3,690,231. Seconded by Andrea Johnson. Motion passed unanimously.
Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats memo:
- Jay Packett reported from an operational standpoint, the computer screens are small making it difficult for the clerks to see names; the computer is slow printing receipts. Mark O’Brien has started the process of getting new computers. Jay Packett will be talking to Chelsea regarding making booking tee times more efficient and finessing computer functions
Questions and comments from Associations and liaisons:
- Sarah Robinson thanked Colin for his attention to the 18-hole members’ letter. Discussion followed.
Review and approve minutes:
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Wyn Morton to approve the minutes of 12/8/20 as written. Carl Blanchard said bullet on top of page 2 should read the pro shop is closed to all but staff. Jeff Odell withdrew his prior motion and made a motion to accept the minutes of 12/8/20 as revised, seconded by John Kissida. Motion passed unanimously
Topics the Chair did not reasonably anticipate:
Future agenda items and meetings:
- Chelsea point allocation system for back 9 afternoon and back 9 play.
Conversation with Mark O’Brien.
A motion to adjourn was made by John Kissida, seconded by Dave Valcourt to adjourn the meeting. Motion passed unanimously. The meeting was adjourned at 5:10 pm.