Commissioners Present: Anne O’Connell (Chair), Carl Blanchard (Vice-Chair), Wyn Morton, Jeff Odell, Ed Pavlu, John Piemontese, and Judy McCarthy.
Others Present: Pete Ervin (Superintendent), Mike Embury (Town Administrator), Chris Hardy (Women’s 18-Hole Association, and Jerri Carlin (Women’s 9-Hole Association).
This meeting was held at the Town Hall and was televised. The video of the meeting may be viewed at: http://view.earthchannel.com/PlayerFlex.aspx?PGD=brewsterma&eID=1104
Call to Order: Anne O’Connell called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
- Jerri Carlin, president of the 9-holers spoke about various upcoming events. She also reported that the Friends have taken the summer off.
- Chris Hardy, president of the 18-holers reported the memorial two-day championship. Lois Adams was the winner. There has been a lot of publicity regarding Betsy King coming for the two-day memorial tournament. This event will be video-taped. In appreciation for the work done by Pete Ervin and his staff the ladies will be serving them lunch on August 17.
- Mike Embury, Town Administrator, spoke about making a recommendation to operate the golf course as an enterprise fund. The other option is to modify the receipts from the carts and add to that so a certain amount of dollars are set aside for the future; the purpose of this being to bond as little as possible. This matter will be re-presented to the Golf Commission after being reviewed by the selectmen.
Correspondence and Suggestion Box:
- From Don Patterson dated July 4–much needed praise on the condition of the golf course and suggestions re signage after having noticed some abuse on the course. He also expressed his opinion of the restaurant.
- From Dave Rome dated August 1—witnessed a golfer get hit in the head from Starboard 8 and suggested some sort of warning device and signage to prevent any further accidents. He had reported this incident to the staff. Anne O’Connell suggested Carl Blanchard acknowledge Mr. Rome’s suggestion telling him this will be reviewed.
- Don Patterson saw a member taking a handicap flag with him after having driven on the green. Discussion followed.
- From Maryann Siclari—suggestion that walkers be able to carry sand to repair divots. Pete Ervin indicated that some of the newer walking carts have the capabilities of carrying divot bottles.
- From Nancy Seavey—often men teeing off from 6 Starboard are able to reach the green. Could there be signage asking no one tee off until the green is clear. Discussion followed. Pete Ervin feels this is a logistical problem and not everyone will pay attention to a sign. This matter will be revisited.
Superintendent’s Report (Pete Ervin):
- We are 70-75% through water coverage for the year.
- We are down to one pump with the repairman coming tomorrow to evaluate. Hopefully it will be a software issue. Thanks to the staff for working through these difficulties. Discussion followed regarding alternate plans in case there are more problems with this system.
- There is a sink hole on 9 Port which will be repaired in the fall.
Director of Operations Report:
- Mark O’Brien sent in the financials; the final report is positive. He and Anne O’Connell will be before the Finance Committee on September 7.
- Judy McCarthy reported the new slope and rate system is not yet on the website–perhaps this is on hold until the new website is complete. There is also a glitch in the GHIN system which needs correcting. Mark O’Brien will be sending out a brief email addressing questions about the Chelsea system.
- Mark O’Brien asked, if the commission agrees, to approve his recommendation for off-season memberships.
- Jeff Odell made a motion to approve the off-season memberships at the following the rate for Brewster taxpayers or residents unrestricted at $299, afternoon membership at $149; for non-residents unrestricted at $399, afternoon non-residents at $249. Motion seconded by Judy McCarthy. Motion passed unanimously.
Incidents on the Golf Course:
- There has been a second incident on the golf course where a woman was hit by a golf ball resulting in her having to be transported by ambulance to Cape Cod Hospital. Fortunately she is fine. There should be a first-aid kit available to go out on an emergency call to the pro shop, or could the ranger carts each be equipped with a first-aid kit. Also, would it be a good idea to collect emergency contact information on annual fee play applications. Discussion followed regarding possible emergency care.
- Anne O’Connell reported that this Friday at 2 p.m. there will be a meeting with Mike Fitzgerald who has had experience with restaurant business. All are welcome to attend.
- Regarding restroom projects–John Piemontese has not yet been able to reach anyone at Cape Cod Tech.
Future agenda items:
- Jeff Odell indicated that September is usually the starting time to discuss revenue opportunities and rates.
- Back 9 issues. The June minutes indicated matter of the path on Starboard 8 and 9 be kept active. Pete Ervin will follow up.
Approval of 6/14/16 and 7/12/16 minutes:
- A motion was made by Jeff Odell, seconded by Carl Blanchard to approve the minutes of 6/14/16. Motion passed unanimously.
- A motion was made by Wyn Morton, seconded by Ed Pavlu to approve the minutes of 7/12/16. Motion passed unanimously.
Judy McCarthy made a motion, seconded by Ed Pavlu to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 5:10 p.m.
Dorothy Vesperman, Senior Clerk