The following are the minutes of the Brewster Golf Commission meeting held on 8/14/2012 at the Captains Golf Course. The meeting was called to order at 4:00 PM by Cindy Bingham.
Commissioners present: Cindy Bingham, Chairperson
Jim Ehrhart, Vice-Chairman
Staff present: Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations
Steve Mann, Superintendent
Others Present: Ginny O’Loughlin, Women’s 9-Hole Assn.
Jim Foley, liaison from Selectmen
Rob Harris, Men’s Association
Review of meeting minutes:
Jim Ehrhart made a motion to approve the Brewster Golf Commission meeting minutes from July 10, 2012. The motion was seconded by Anne O’Connell and approved unanimously.
- Ginny O’Loughlin reported that Rita Nelson won this year’s 9-Hole Women’s Association championship and Pat Girard won the Net championship. Sheila Lane has joined the association as a new member.
- Rob Harris reported that the Captains Invitational sponsored by the Captains Course Men’s Golf Association will be held on September 8 & 9. Also the Men’s Association is looking to schedule a divot filling group with Steve Mann. It was suggested that they work on Port as the women are doing Starboard..
- Make automated tee time system more efficient. Mark O’Brien is working on this with Chelsea.
- Can we have credit book balances displayed on receipts. Mark O’Brien said the system will not do that, but we can easily look up credit book balances for members whenever they want.
- Do a trial on the lottery tee time system. This will be investigated by Mark O’Brien.
Director of Operations Report (Mark O’Brien):
Mark O’Brien reported:
on the financials for July and the fiscal year ended June 30, 2012.
we are close to signing a contract for advertising and PR services with an agency.
a purchase and sale for the land owned by the Town of Brewster located in the Town of Harwich abutting the Captains Golf Course has been signed. The sale price is $46,001. This land was not necessary for the development of the land next to the seventh hole, but will be used by that developer. He stressed that the development of that land would have gone forward with or without the purchase of this land. The golf course will be able to show the $46,001 as golf revenue as it was purchased with monies from the golf course expansion bond.
Steve Mann reported:
· the disease ferry ring has been seen on the course.
· We are spraying for crane fly and grubs over the entire course except greens.
· We have been down 2 personnel all summer as the master mechanic and a groundsman have been out with an injury.
· Howard Menges, a 40-week groundsman is retiring after many years of service.
· We are aerifying in 3 weeks.
· Water withdrawal permit has been approved by DEP.
· Warrant articles for the Fall Town meeting include 2nd annual payment for mower lease; upgrade of radios, and new irrigation satellites for expansion course.
· Replacement sprinkler heads with yardages will be in about six weeks.
Jim Ehrhart asked about fixing the sink hole on Port #10 by the tee. Steve Mann will put some fill in there as a temporary fix.
Fall Membership Options:
Mark O’Brien recommended offering the same fall program as 2011 (memberships for the period 9/4/12 through 3/31/13, resident rate $349, non-resident rate $699 and resident twilight rate $149) He reported that most of the people who came in under the pay now play now program did not renew when the membership expired.
Jim Ehrhart made a motion to adopt a fall AFP program for the period September 4, 2012 through March 31, 2013 as follows:
Resident Full – $349 (allows play after 9:00 a.m. on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in September and unrestricted at all other times.)
Non-Resident – $599 (allows play any time)
Twilight – $149 Brewster resident only (allows play beginning one hour prior to the start of the twilight green fee rate.)
The motion was seconded by Anne O’Connell and approved unanimously.
Update on Pace of Play:
It was suggested that the starters have a more active role in speaking to customers about pace of play before they tee off. Mark O’Brien said they should be doing this now and will reinforce with the starters. The members may not be aware of this practice since they address mainly the guest groups with there instructions.
Update on building carpentry repairs:
Mark O’Brien said he has a contractor lined up to do the work this fall.
The next meeting will be held on September 11, 2012 at 4:00 at the Captains Golf Course conference room. The main topic on the agenda will be brainstorming ideas for the 2013 AFP fee structure.
Jim Ehrhart made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Anne O’Connell. Motion approved unanimously.
Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations