The following are the minutes of the Brewster Golf Commission meeting held on April 7, 2009. The meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m.
Commissioners present: George Flemming, Chairman Joseph Shaw Karney Ovian Bob Weiss Cindy Bingham Stote Ellsworth Jo O’Connell
Staff present: Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations Steve Mann, Superintendent
Others present: Joanne Liberles, Rob Harris, Ray Gomez, Nancy Segall, and Judy McCarthy
S. Ellsworth made a motion, seconded by C. Bingham, to approve the minutes of the March 10, 2009 Golf Commission meeting. Motion approved unanimously.
- M. O’Brien read thank you letters from RHCI, Nauset Regional High School Project Graduation, Boys & Girls Club of Cape Cod, and Cape Cod Gymnastics Completive Team Support Group for the gift certificates we donated.
- A request was received for the Housing Assistance Corporation of Cape Cod for a donation of a gift certificate for their Annual Golf Day to End Homelessness. In addition, they are requesting that we allow them to hold a closest to the pin contest on a date of our choosing for the same purpose. J. Shaw made a motion, seconded by C. Bingham, to approve the request. Motion carried unanimously.
- Two requests for refunds of non-resident afp fees were received for medical reasons. One from Eugene Tierney and one from Michael Rees. Neither person has played at all this year. B. Weiss made a motion, seconded by K. Ovian, to approve these requests. Motion carried unanimously.
- The “Tradesmen” Group requested to have a block of 7 tee times starting at 8:00 a.m. on September 19 & 20 for their annual tournament. B. Weiss made a motion, seconded by J. Shaw, to approve the request. Motion carried unanimously.
- A request was received from the First Parish Brewster Unitarian Universalist for a donation of a gift certificate. This request was denied as it does not meet the Golf Commission criteria for donations.
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS REPORT
- M. O’Brien reviewed the financials with the commission for the period ending March 31, 2009. Of particular note was the fact that Resident AFPs were down by 223 people and Non-resident AFPs were down by 36 people for the period ending March 31st as compared to last year for the same period.
- S. Mann reported that we have hired back on the 32 week and the 40 week personnel.
- S. Mann reported that the course is very wet and that he is dealing with some anthracnose infection on the course.
- S. Mann reported that the county bid prices are in and fertilizer prices are up about 30%. This will cause some problems for our FY2010 budget.
- S. Mann reported that the irrigation system has been turned on for the year and we will begin the aerification process in a couple of weeks.
- S. Mann reported that he will be adding some plant material to the island triangle in the parking lot and that the clubhouse gardens are all being attended to at this point.
- Joanne Liberles asked how the original holes held up over the winter with play limited to the original course. S. Mann said it held up well.
- J. Shaw reported that he is soliciting volunteers for the Brewster in Bloom to be held the first weekend in May.
- B. Weiss distributed an incentive program designed to bring in new non-resident afps (see attached). Discussion followed as to whether Selectmen approval is required. M. O’Brien will run the program by Charlie Sumner for his approval. J. Shaw made a motion, seconded by K. Ovian, to approve the incentive plan. Motion carried unanimously.
- B. Weiss suggested that the golf commission email be directed to his email and he would distribute it to the rest of the commission. All agreed.
- It was decided that the survey to the afps that did not renew this year would be sent out after the next Golf Commission meeting.
- No request has been received as yet regarding alcohol on the golf course. This will be discussed at the next meeting.
The next Brewster Golf Commission meeting will be held on May 5, 2009 at 1:00 p.m. at the Captains Golf Course clubhouse.
J. Shaw made a motion, seconded by B. Weiss to adjourn the meeting. Motion approved unanimously.
Respectfully submitted, Mark O’Brien Director of Operations