The following are the minutes of the Brewster Golf Commission meeting held on April 6, 2010. The meeting was called to order at 1:00 PM.
Commissioners present: Bob Weiss, Chairman Rob Harris Jo O'Connell Cindy Bingham Jeff Odell Karney Ovian Joseph Shaw, Honorary Commissioner
Staff present: Mark O’Brien, Director of Operations Steve Mann, Superintendent
The minutes from the March 16, 2010 meeting were reviewed. J. Odell suggested striking the names of people listed on the third bullet under correspondence. A motion made by R. Harris, seconded by J. Odell, to approve the amended minutes. Motion passed unanimously.
Thank you letters were received from Cape Cod Hospital Auxiliary (Orleans Branch), RHCI, and Homes for our Troops for the gift certificates we donated.
A request for a leave of absence from one of our Charter Non-Resident members was received. R. Harris made a motion, seconded by K. Ovian to approve the request. Motion approved unanimously.
A request was received from Sharon Marotti, a Captains AFP, to set up a table to give out information regarding the Brewster Meeting House Preservation project. The request was denied pending further information. B. Weiss will follow up with Sharon Marotti.
A request was received from Bob Wilkerson, the Nauset Girls Golf Team coach, to hold a 9-hole tournament on Sunday, April 4, 2011 with tee times beginning at 1:00 p.m. The green fee charged will be $15 per player with normal cart fees, carts optional. J. O'Connell made a motion, seconded by C. Bingham, to approve the request. Motion approved unanimously.
A donation request for the YMCA of Cape Cod was approved.
- Financials for March were discussed.
- Through the month of March, resident memberships were down by about $8,000 and non-residents were up by about $70,000 for the fiscal year 2010 as compared to FY 2009.
- M. O'Brien reported that the cart fleet is now in.
- S. Mann reported that we had about 12" of rain in the month of March, and that this has slowed up the winter clean up process.
- The heavy rains have also delayed our ability to sod the area on #2 Port where the irrigation pipe was replaced. We are seeding the area on the left side in the rough.
- Two 32-week personnel are being rehired this week. Some of our summer help will be starting up at the end of April.
- We have not fertilized as yet, but will do so during the aerification process.
- There has been very little winter damage this year.
- Close to 300 trees have been taken down during the winter. Some due to disease, but most to improve air flow and sun light to tee and green areas.
- S. Mann and K. Ovian will be touring the course to make a list of any projects we would like to address.
- C. Bingham asked about the ladder sign that used to be on Route 137 and Freemans Way. M. O'Brien will investigate.
- C. Bingham asked about the Solo Rider golf cart that RHCI had talked about leaving here at the golf Course. M. O'Brien reported that he told them we would love to have it here, but he has not heard back from them.
- J. Odell reported that he is contacting the area B & B's to see about their interest in offering golf packages.
- R. Harris brought up the idea of starting tee times earlier in the day during our peak days. Discussion followed and it was decided not to adopt this idea mainly due to the noise restrictions that are in effect to protect our neighbors.
- The Casual Gourmet menu options and operational procedures were discussed. It was decided that C. Bingham, K. Ovian and M. O'Brien would meet with Joe Spiotta of the Casual Gourmet to discuss and bring back to the commission.
- R. Harris asked what was the reason we do not use red, white and blue flags to show pin position. S. Mann said that the yellow flags we use are much better for visibility.
- A request was made to waive the rule requiring that no more than 25% of the players in the Brewster Men's Association golf outing be members that pay no green fee. R. Harris made a motion, seconded by J. O'Connell, to approve the request. Motion approved unanimously.
The Brewster Golf Commission policy manual was reviewed. Some changes were suggested. This will be presented for approval at the next meeting. R. Harris made a motion, seconded by C. Bingham, to make the Monday Senior Scramble an "Open" scramble, due to the fact that the Thursday "Open" scramble has now been replaced by the Men's Association league. This was tabled and will be discussed at the next meeting.
Since there was no other business, the next meeting was set for May 11 at 2 pm. A motion made by C. Bingham, seconded by J. O'Connell to adjourn the meeting passed, and the meeting adjourned at 3:25 pm.
Mark O'Brien Director of Operations